Kick Starter

Bob Kelly III

Ranch Kid from way back,.... that got Old !
Reaction score
when trying to put my bike back together again after having the clutch basket off
I discovered that the Kick starter came out too far with the case when I was taking the case off
and it wouldn't work at all, so I took the 2 screws I put back in the case off ( I always test the Kick starter first before I button it down good, and I'm glad I did this time !)
anyway...
after looking it up in the manual and on line here I discovered that the missing photos on the other thread were a major hindrance ...
but then discovered that they really arn't needed
..... I simply pulled out the kick starter shaft spring and all sense it wasn't tensioned correctly anyway...
found the Dog on the back and pointed it down then rotated the clip that enguages the gear on the spryl to go into the slot it was designed to hold..... tried putting it in it went in just fine then I tried to tension the spring.... that wasn't going to happen very easy fully assembled, so I took off the cir-clip and pulled out the stepped collar and washers so the shaft was bare all but the spring , Now the spring could twist.... I then grabbed the hook with my needlenose visegrips and pulled it around to the hooking spot and stuck it on then pushed it down about half way.... now the kick starter was pre-tensioned.... and the dog at the bottom was turned all the way cloclwise just to get the pre-tension checked to make sure everything was where it was supposed to be ( the clip in it's slot) and then put the stepped color back in with its washer cir-clip and final washer....
I had a bit of trouble getting the spring to allow the stepped color in there but with some wiggling of the spring while pushing in of the collar it finally went in that last 1/8" where it needed to be ( there is a notch in the color that needs to be centered on the spring end in the shaft)
once that was done I put the side plate on with 2 screws and tried kicking it through just to make sure it worked ok , it did so I buttoned it down ....
Bob.........

Attachments

• 20170825_183301.jpg
    20170825_183301.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 166
Not an answer. Just need help.
Getting around to removing transmission cover and removed foot peg and tried to remove kick starter and brake lever. Sprayed with WD-40 and both are frozen on shaft. Any suggestions?

You'll need to pound a screwdriver into the split where they clamp on and spread them open a bit. Pinch bolts need to be totally removed as well. Also, when removing the cover, hold in on the kick shaft with your thumb or it will pull out with the cover. Then you would need to go through the kick shaft re-installation process which involves preloading the return spring. You can avoid all that if you don't let it pull out in the first place.

I did just that and they came right off. I figured I would ask experts from the forum. Thanks for quick reply. Now on to the next step to drain oil, remove cover and fix gear number 4.

Back