Kickstart gear differences

Pipes

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Guys,

I am currently putting my '81 engine back together and noticed a difference in two kickstart mechanisms I have.The one on the left is the original from the said engine and the one on the left is a spare that was in the box of bits that came with the motor.The guy who sold me the bits (motor originally from USA) never did anything with the parts but said there was an 'issue with the kicker and that's probably why there's a spare mechanism in the box' ..(turns out there was no clutch in there)

I noticed the left one has thicker gear teeth than the other which has no sign of abnormal wear.I guess I should use the original but I am curious as to why the teeth are of differing thickness.Perhaps a model year change for some reason...Maybe you guys can shed some light on it for me :thumbsup:
131594175_10217020327532012_8609374955534193070_o.jpg

According to parts diagrams, there was an early gear used on the XS1 and XS1B that had 26 teeth. Starting with the XS2, and used on all later models, a new gear with only 25 teeth was used. So, count the teeth, maybe your spare is from an XS1.

Back