Knife Blade Sharpening

Jan_P

Tool Owner
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I'm bad at sharpening knives.
not often you need particularly sharp knives in the workshop, but sometimes

I have tried different brows and bought devices of different kinds
But No .can't honestly fool myself give it a pass.

My Grandfather, who was a stonemason, could shave the hair on his forearms
when he had sharpened
I do not succeed - Anyone who knows the trick

when he had sharpened
I use a few different grades of wet-stone; sharpen by hand, start with course and work to fine.
I have a set of SHUN Japanese cooking knives; 36 layers of hand rolled Japanese steel.
You can shave with them ; and they keep their edge well with a little maintenance.
Screenshot 2023-10-25 at 11.12.21.png

I've never had any luck sharpening knives either, good enough to get by, but no shaving with my knives. :laugh: (Case Peanut is my daily carry.)

when he had sharpened
My butcher once told me that a blade can get beyond normal domestic sharpening devices.
He said you then have to get a base edge with a bench grinder, before moving to wet-stone & sharpening steel.
He uses commercially available professional blades; but the same applies to domestic knives of any level.
As well as my Shun set, I bought a set of 'full tang' pro knives from IKEA (for my apartment in Ipswich); they are excellent to use, and the quality is great. They no longer sell them, but probably have something similar.

My hunting knife to field dress a deer I used to use a Lansky. I added the diamond piece to draw down bad dents in other knifes but it allows you to work progressively down.
I use a whetstone for the fishing fillet knife. I ended up getting a Work Sharp MK2 from Amazon for the daily folding knife. You can get progressively finer grit belts for it. I think it came with a couple and I usually only use 2 of them cause I'm not trying to get that one razor sharp. Work sharp is quick. Not easy to control the angle as you get to the tip like the Lansky. Lansky takes more time but you can control the edge angle better. I'm by no means a knife expert but that's what I have done. Good Luck.

Quality blades make a difference as they resist dulling better. Noticed that when I got a better fillet knife. I cut up fish more than anything during the summers.

My hunting knife to field dress a deer I used to use a Lansky. I added the diamond piece to draw down bad dents in other knifes but it allows you to work progressively down.
I use a whetstone for the fishing fillet knife. I ended up getting a Work Sharp MK2 from Amazon for the daily folding knife. You can get progressively finer grit belts for it. I think it came with a couple and I usually only use 2 of them cause I'm not trying to get that one razor sharp. Work sharp is quick. Not easy to control the angle as you get to the tip like the Lansky. Lansky takes more time but you can control the edge angle better. I'm by no means a knife expert but that's what I have done. Good Luck.

Quality blades make a difference as they resist dulling better. Noticed that when I got a better fillet knife. I cut up fish more than anything during the summers.

I too use a Lansky sharpening tool. I used to do multiple stone grades and put a double angle on the edge, but now I just give my blades a few quick passes with a dry diamond stone (Lansky). That makes the knives sharp enough for everyday use. All of my kitchen knives are Sabatier with SS blades.
I also have a fancy electric knife sharpener but never found it did as good of a job as doing it manually. Come to think of it I should probably sell it.

figure out what kind of an edge you want. get a work sharp, i have a ken onion edition and it's amazing for a beginner like me.

get some cheap butter knifes and practice with them, that way, no biggie if you screw em up!

Because most blades are tapered cross section yo eventually need to do a serious grind on them to be able to get a fine edge.
However till then, if not badly abused I find stroping with a welding tungsten, used like a sharpening steel, displaces the metal on the edge, renews the edge without actual metal removal.

Thank you Gentlemen
The welding tungsten trick seem interesting
Been out trying some variants
Different Stones and Machines most of it is rubbish

I bought a box with kitchen-ware at a car boot sale for the fun of it in there was a thing like below
Mine is green

Edge maker don't know much about it
https://www.edgemaker.com/sections/products/ProductDetail.aspx?prod_id=17

I am trying to sharpen one edge of those

1698250559424.png

What seems to work best is
first angle grinder light touch ( Cutting disk ) then on a whetstone and finally with that below
Whetstone only is not working for me its get better with that one.

I test it ion a newspaper cutout not perfect .And no shaving edge sharpness but best so far

1698249853801.png

Back