Leak advice

2DB5495A-FAA9-48FB-B6D8-53FC75F8DA52.jpeg 8B693776-BAEA-4AE4-BEAF-38CD9C37998B.jpeg 5809333F-EBDC-4417-B08A-2DB0B8AC64F5.jpeg 2B2462C7-9A41-42AF-886F-5A5648B402A2.jpeg C135C103-C5F5-4787-86C6-C5CC6BE1A878.jpeg E2D69342-8000-4B1B-A5FE-00E6995E171A.png Awesome pictures with fancy labels guys. Thank you!!

So. I’m kinda thinking that bead of oil might be coming from the starter gear box. It’s super close to that nut. Thoughts???

It’s defiantly a straight line down from the push rod seal, I’m not arguing that, but the darn thing has not run in months and the left cover shows no sings of fresh oil.

Anyways. I have lots of things to kinker with and fix :)
Known leaks include:
- push rod seal
- sump cover (re cleaned, installed and torqued) the new gasket looks too big imo. Like it does not fit perfectly. Lots hanging out the side ....
F810A9B3-A25B-472B-9619-E0A6E3BB1D04.jpeg
- plug washers (could not find the Athena ones that were recommended, so got copper crush from xsdirect)

Drive shaft seal looks suspicious maybe. My brand new sprocket and chain with literally 30km on them sure look dirty. The oil wipes off easily. That could be the push rod seal though.

Expecting parts to arrive Friday. Too bad it’s supposed to snow and dip to -20 Saturday.

See pics of my first attempt at replacing the push rod seal and some other dirty photos ;) Not great, bit of a bobble at about 2 o’clock. I ordered 2 more. Also ordered the long rod and new ball bearings so I’ll take another crack at it this weekend. Maybe bevel the edge even more with my $23 diamond dremel bit!! Everything I do cost me double cause I don’t have the tools. Lol. It’s comimg though. I have new bushings too but I’m not keen on fracking something up really bad by getting it caught in their. Plus I agree with gggGary - the new bushing fits just as sloppy on the rod as the existing bushing.

Cheers.

Gasket hanging out, no problemo. But that green gasket stuff is way thin in my admittedly somewhat limited experience. And it gets thinner and brittle with age quickly. I like me some nos gaskets or some gasket nerd on ebay hand making gaskets from modern alien technology superpaper.

That green gasket is most likely an Athena brand from MikesXS. Many of them seem to be cut oversize like that but they've always worked well for me. In fact, I find them more robust than originals.

The only way to get the Athena red bakelite drain plug washers is in a complete engine gasket kit. They don't sell them individually, which is a shame because they work great.

The only green one I used was a left case (generator) cover. Couple of uses and it was about the consistency of an eggshell. Don't remember the brand, just the color.

The only way to get the Athena red bakelite drain plug washers is in a complete engine gasket kit. They don't sell them individually, which is a shame because they work great.
When I first got mine it had a drain plug gasket cut out of plastic, maybe a piece of plastic milk jug, can't remember. It worked well. The copper washers are so big they were inconvenient to find back then but now the right size is all over ebay. Get a big bag of them from China for very little.

Back