leaking carbs

peckwad

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have a 79 model that I bought a few years ago. It ran fine for a while, then one of the carbs started leaking and I can't get it to stop. I replaced the floats and that didn't help. Both sides don't leak, only the side that's connected to the left side petcock. I swapped the lines and it made the right side leak. Should I try to rebuild the petcocks? I'm pretty new to this.

From here it sounds like you have a leaky petcock that needs repair and two carbs that have leaky float valves or incorrectly set float height?

I replaced the float valves with the floats. I'll try to rebuild the petcock and see if that does anything.

I have made a few sets of adapters for the drain screws so you can temporarily attach clear plastic tubes and visually check the float level. PM me if you are interested. This should be a belt and suspenders situation. You have both petcocks and float valves either one should stop fuel flow. Rust or other debris in the gas tank will easily defeat both in quick order however. I don't know your case just throwing out suggestions.

Even when you replace the floats and float valves you need to set the float height. If set wrong they won't shut off untill the level is so high it over flows.
I would check the float level and rebuild the petcocks.
You should also shut the petcocks off when the bike isn't running. The floats are not a fuel shut off, they are a metering device to maintain proper fuel level in the float bowls.

Back