Leather

William

Cant Get Enough
Reaction score
Anyone know a good place to buy a piece of leather to tool a seat? I have been told that 8oz in the best for tooling.

In leather terms 1 oz is about 1/64" so 8 oz would be about 1/8" thick. Lots of places to get it. Ask around at some farm supply places.

Look in the yellow pages for saddle makers too.

Last edited:
Ebay can be a good source, that's where I've bought mine when I couldn't pick it up locally. Search for combinations of "vegetable, veg, tanned, tooling, leather, 8, oz, ounce". 6 ounce can be a little thin, but still workable. Anything from 7 to 9 ought to be good.

If it's only for the top side of a standard 9" or 13" seat pan, I'd send these guys an email. They cut small quantities of a great leather to order: eBay tooling leather

Don't expect a decent quality vegetable tanned tooling leather to come cheap. It won't. You may want to try your luck locally first. You may be able to pick up a small piece on the cheap from a tack shop. It seems like you should have access to one or two in your neck of the woods...

I usually use Tandy leather
http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/home/home.aspx

You can usually get an OK deal on some leather. There's one in Fort Worth. They are usually good to deal with over the phone. Depending on what style seat you are making will depend on how much you need. I generally use 5/6oz for the top and 3/4oz for the sides if I'm wet molding. As stated before you need veg tanned or "tooling leather" If you are just doing a small solo you could use anything from 5-8ooz for top & bottom (no sides)

Back