LED blinkers

yamchop

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
i want to swap out my blinkers for some LED blinkers. can i just wire them in or will i have to replace the flasher? its a 75.

prolly need a voltage dump/load equalizer to keep it correct....run it between the flasher & light? Just something to look into/prepare for, as I'm not 100% on this.

I'm still researching the whole LED thing myself but I think you will need a different flasher.
I heard most automotive flashers will make the LED blinkers flash a lot faster unless you get an adjustable one.
I also heard that if you use the automotive flasher, while using the motorcycle single turn signal indicator in the gauge as opposed to the two separate turn signal indicator in a car dash, it will cause both left and right signals to flash because both circuits are now hooked commonly to the single indicator.
Like I said I've just started to research this myself so I would be interested in what you find out.
Some of the more modern bikes are starting to use LED's so there has to be something out there.
Here are a couple threads to get you started.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2708&highlight=signals
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2553
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2640&highlight=signals

Anybody else out there with experience on this?

You need to look in to a resistor between the flasher and the led light assembly. That will cure the rapid flashing. Leds use significant less voltage. You can talk to someone over at radio shack. I am no expert that is just my understanding.

Most want to use LED's to lessen the electrical load on the system. A good idea by the way. Putting in a load resister to get the current draw back up enough to get the stock flasher to work is the wrong thing to do. Go to www.superbrightleds.com and order their part # LF1-S-FLAT $8.95 It is what I have On mine. It will flash one LED bulb or up to 150 watts of any bulb.
It comes with short leads with a plastic housing around blade type connectors. Just remove the leads from the plastic. The flat blades will plug in where the stock flasher goes. Plug the red wire in where the brown wire is, and the black wire in where the brown/white wire is.
Move it as far away from the coil as you can. The strong magnetic feilds around the coil can make it flash odd.
Look the site over they have lots of cool stuff.

I sent the following email to the technical support folks at Super Brite. I also sent a picture of a flasher for an 80 - 83 model and mentioned an online forum was interested in an answer.

Most older motorcycles have front and rear turn signals with a single indicator light in the instrument cluster as opposed to two indicator lights in a cars instrument cluster.
When using an aftermarket car LED flasher on a motorcycle the left and right turn signals flash at the same time due to the single indicator light in the instrument cluster being in the circuit.
Do you have a LED Flasher that can solve that problem? I don't want to mickey mouse the system by using a separate diode for the indicator light.

Attachments

• Yamaha xs650 Flasher.jpg
    Yamaha xs650 Flasher.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 80
In this case the bike is a 75 and has two indicater lights.
On the later bikes with the single indicator, asking them is a good idea they might have an idea.
I don't have an easy answer to that. I'll think on it.

Back