LED Tail Light

SinisterMatti

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting an LED tail light to give my alternator a bit of a rest, and was wondering which bulbs people have had the most luck with. I'm currently looking at https://www.mikesxs.net/product/10-1181.html or https://www.mikesxs.net/product/10-1182.html But open to suggestions. What do most people use, and would I need to get a resistor, or do most LEDs for that fit our tail lights have built in resistors? Thanks for the help!

I'm looking at getting an LED tail light to give my alternator a bit of a rest, and was wondering which bulbs people have had the most luck with. I'm currently looking at https://www.mikesxs.net/product/10-1181.html or https://www.mikesxs.net/product/10-1182.html But open to suggestions. What do most people use, and would I need to get a resistor, or do most LEDs for that fit our tail lights have built in resistors? Thanks for the help!

I don't think those tiny bulbs would be bright enough. I recommend you install one similar to what I have on my bike. These are actually meant to be used on trucks and trailers, but work very well on bikes as well.

Whereas the stock 1157 bulb uses around 0.6 amps, the LED I have uses only 0.073 amps. Forget about resistors, the type I use are simple 3 wire connections to your bikes wiring harness.

Last time I looked they were about $19.95 here in Canada, and are DOT approved.
In addition they are rated at 100,000 hours for their life.
So , if you ride your bike for 8 hrs/day, 5 days/week, it will only last for 50 years:D

Edit: I also installed a small LED licence plate light, which you can see just below the LED tail/brake light.

Attachments

• LED tail brake rev 2.JPG
    LED tail brake rev 2.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 227
That makes sense about them not being bright enough, but I want to retain the original tail light assembly and look. The reason I was thinking about converting to LED was to save some strain on the charging system as I just converted my headlight to halogen. I've ordered a 45/45w bulb instead of the 60/55w that comes with it. Hopefully that will be enough unless anyone has other suggestions.

That makes sense about them not being bright enough, but I want to retain the original tail light assembly and look. The reason I was thinking about converting to LED was to save some strain on the charging system as I just converted my headlight to halogen. I've ordered a 45/45w bulb instead of the 60/55w that comes with it. Hopefully that will be enough unless anyone has other suggestions.

If you have not done so already, I recommend you replace the old stock rectifier, and the old stock regulator. Buy a new 3 phase rectifier from E-bay, and a VR-115 nos automotive regulator. Those changes make your charging system run much better.

I use a 40W/55 W Halogen headlight. Yes, going from 55W down to 45W will be beneficial, and a 40W would be even better.

For sure, get rid of the #1157 bulb in the tail light. I'm sure someone will post something on keeping the stock tail light but replacing the internals with an LED.

I went with this one: 1157 LED

No complaints, very bright light. If you don't add a resistor your tail light checker will blink at you continuously (I've just learned to ignore it).

I've already upgraded the rectifier and regulator thanks to your how to, RG, so I'm all set there. I like the one that Fleksta posted, Going to order it in white. Thank you everyone for the advice!

I'm sure someone will post something on keeping the stock tail light but replacing the internals with an LED.

Yea i did in post 2.

With the exchange rate, from US$ to Aus$ it would be cheaper to buy from the link i posted including postage instead of the Superbright link.

I'm looking at getting an LED tail light to give my alternator a bit of a rest - - - would I need to get a resistor, or do most LEDs for that fit our tail lights have built in resistors? Thanks for the help!

Hi Matti,
if you put a resistor in line with an LED bulb you'll be sucking up all the power you're trying to save, eh?
Folks put resistors in line with turn signal LEDs so they can still use the stock flasher and canceller. One wonders why they bothered switching?

Hi Matti,
if you put a resistor in line with an LED bulb you'll be sucking up all the power you're trying to save, eh?
Folks put resistors in line with turn signal LEDs so they can still use the stock flasher and canceller. One wonders why they bothered switching?

Good point. I'll go without a resistor. Didn't even think about it.

SinisterMatti, Most companies that sell LED bulbs recommend using LED's that match the color of the lense. Red behind red, amber behind amber.
Leo

I found this at my local Yamaha dealer, it has a plate light and bracket also. Sorry I dont recall what brand it is.

Attachments

• DSC02250.jpg
    DSC02250.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 184
  • DSC02251.jpg
    DSC02251.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 182
SinisterMatti, Most companies that sell LED bulbs recommend using LED's that match the color of the lens. Red behind red, amber behind amber.
Leo

Hi Leo,
and the bastards are directional, too.
There's even LEDs with the ends on sideways to suit the late model XS650 tombstone tail lights although I couldn't find them on the superbright site.
I'd suggest Matti scroll down that site:-
https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/tail-brake-turn/
to see their 1157-R 19W6 dual intensity motorcycle bulb.

Back