locked up engine

mwabes

XS650 Street Tracker
Reaction score
I purchased a 1979 engine from a guy that told me the motor was a runner a year ago and that all he did was remove the starter motor. About a week after I got it home I removed the plugs to release compression while trying to turn it over using the kicker and it was locked up. It apears to be in neutral because I can turn the sprocket on the output shaft. I don't have a gear shift lever yet to try and shift it but I believe it to be in neutral. I removed the starter cover on the lower left side and found that cavity to be empty nothing jammed. What are the chances of the cylinders rusting up after a year sitting with the carbs and headers removed but plugged with rags? Also I have not removed the right side clutch cover yet because I thought I would ask you guys first if the problem could be insde the clutch cover. Anyway I thought I would pour some Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders to see if that will help free it up. Any ideas from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Under the round cover on the left is the alternator. There is a 17 mm nut in there directly on the end of the crank. Try turning that nut. If it turns with out coming loose then the engine is not siezed up. If you can't turn the engine over then yes it is siezed.
Plenty of MMO and PB Blaster Let soak a day or two. Try turning. If free good to go. If not repeat.
Leo

My first experience with an xs, about 10 years ago, had to do with a seized engine. A buddy of mine that had owned several bikes over the years suggested the Marvels Mystery Oil trick, I was skeptical but gave it a shot and what do you know after letting it sit for a couple days, with a couple ounces in each cylinder, she kicked over just as smooth as silk. I swear by the stuff now.

Under the round cover on the left is the alternator. There is a 17 mm nut in there directly on the end of the crank. Try turning that nut. If it turns with out coming loose then the engine is not siezed up. If you can't turn the engine over then yes it is siezed.
Plenty of MMO and PB Blaster Let soak a day or two. Try turning. If free good to go. If not repeat.
Leo

Thanks for your response I guess i will try the Marvels Mystery Oil.

My first experience with an xs, about 10 years ago, had to do with a seized engine. A buddy of mine that had owned several bikes over the years suggested the Marvels Mystery Oil trick, I was skeptical but gave it a shot and what do you know after letting it sit for a couple days, with a couple ounces in each cylinder, she kicked over just as smooth as silk. I swear by the stuff now.

Thanks for your response I guess i will try the Marvels Mystery Oil.

Back