Looking at an 80 XS with weak spark

Furious D

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am going to look at an 80 Special tommorow that the owner has given up on because of weak spark in both cylinders. The coil was replaced, with a used one and resulted in no change. The bike shop has told him its TCI but I'm not so sure.

The bike looks great , It is priced around $800 but If it is the TCI how much would I have to spend to replace it? I really dont want another project right now, I keep telling myself to spend a little more money and buy a running , driving bike to use as a donor for my sidecar .

You need this:

http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Charging&action=display&thread=3461

My bike has the same problem and my mechanic will be troubleshooting it soon. As I understand it is usually the stator or rectifier/regulator. I also have a spare coil now.

If it is the charging system, save yourself the headache and swap to a Permanent Magnet Setup... Its way cheaper and easier to wire up. You'll need a different ignition as well, but then it is all new :thumbsup:

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6604

holy COW!! TCI no good? that bike is worth 100 bucks! but tell him since ur a nice guy you will give him 300! :thumbsup:

No way I would pay 800 for a non-running bike. I bought my last xs for $350 and drove it home!

I looked at the bike today. It was in pretty nice shape but it was apparent that it had not been run in a long time. CLutch and throttle cable were locked up, very old tires and no battery. I was amazed how nice the inside of the tank was, It was perfect, not a spot of rust, just clean bare metal.

It might of been a $500 bike. a guy might get lucky and put some new tires and cables on and get it running on the cheap but I know it would be a money pit if I bought it.:shrug:

I bought mine for $500 with a weak spark and the people who know bikes and have seen it think I got a deal. But here in FL pretty much any bike that drives fetchs $1500. I guess I will see how much it will cost to fix it in the next few weeks.

$800 for a non-runner isn't that big a deal. Because - it won't be any harder to get it running that it will be to get the turn signals consistent, get the charging working as it should, and so on. All the usual stuff. That is, provided it's not a non-runner because it was ridden without oil :) But then even in the case of a totally cooked motor, legend has it you can find a running motor for $100 or less.

Back