Looking for pics of handlebar cable-choke converted to on-carb pull

ann0yed

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I got a set of bs34s from an 82 Heritage (as far as I know) and it has the cable pull choke which ran from a lever on the bars. I want to convert this to an on-carb pull, maybe still using a cable somehow. I have seen some threads about getting a rod with detents and ball bearing and spring, which I would do if it wasn't tough to source all the parts. I'm looking for simple and homemade first. Anyone got pics of how they did it? Thanks!

-j

I used an old choke cable off a garden tractor. You can get hand choke conversion kits at the parts store for a cable.
Here's a few pics.
Pull the core out of the casing. Cut the casing off so it can clamp into the cable holder on the carbs with enough room so the knob just hangs out side the carbs, Slip the cable back in the housing. Cut the cable off with enough extra to form a loop that can hook to the enrichener where the stock cable went.
My old garden tractor cable being a bit rusty works well the rust has enough tension to hold the enrichener just where I want it.
Leo

Attachments

• New choke cable 001 (950x713).jpg
    New choke cable 001 (950x713).jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 150
  • New choke cable 002 (925x694).jpg
    New choke cable 002 (925x694).jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Yep what Leo says. If you could find a small engine shop with a decent boneyard you could also score a test tank at the same time.

Thanks guys. That's the one aspect of this jury-rigging that I'm unsure of, how to keep the choke open, its awesome that your rusty cable does the job!

Back