Loss of power/bogging down when in gear.

Tried to run the bike last night without the air boxes to see if they were the culprit behind my loss of power but ran into a new symptom. The bike would start fine but would die shortly after starting. I could play with the idol to keep it running but as soon as I gave it gas it would die. Is this another sign pointing to the carbs? Air boxes looked fine to me. I did clean the air boxes in kerosine last fall and lubricated them with a spray on lube. Don't think they are the issue though.

When the engine will not respond to throttle, its most likely due to the pilot circuit is not supplying enough gas/air mixture. Weekendrider said the same thing in post #2. Could be wrong pilot jet, or dirt plugging the very tiny pilot jet orifice, or the passage ways are plugged up, or could be the mixture screw is not adjusted correctly.

XSLeo pointed you to the "carbguide".Read the carbguide. Now is the time to gather your courage and remove the carbs to the bench. Take them apart, one carb at a time. Spend the time to check them over carefully.

Since my last reply I have rebuilt the carbs, and replaced the carb holders. Also had my local shop do a dynamic sync. The bike is running well now. Thank you all for your helpful comments.

EDITED- didn't see last response. Sounds good.

The previous suggestions are solid. What I would do, in order:

Check / charge battery. Especially the tci bikes don't like low voltage.
If you can get it running, check to make sure it is charging. It should be at about 13.5v. Remember, the stock stator is all but useless at idle. Idling for 20 minutes might just be draining the battery.
Check for vacuum leaks. Carb boots are notorious. Aftermarket upgrades are more suitable for modern gas (junk)
Pull the plugs and read. If you don't know how, take good pics and post them. We can help.
Check for diaphragm leaks. This can easily be done with the carbs in the bike. Read the carb guide.
No matter what, you should pull and clean your carbs.

Last edited:
Back