low profile master cylinder

Michael xs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whats up guys. Just wondering if anyone out there knows of a good low profile master cylinder for single disk break for a xs650 ? found this one on Mikesxs but not sure if it would work with my caliper... Part # 08-6009 not planing on running it through a switch, just straight to the break. Thanks !

i just used a front master cylinder from my KX450 dirtbike. i had a extra in the motocross box. works great and very clean looking.

Whats up guys. Just wondering if anyone out there knows of a good low profile master cylinder for single disk break for a xs650 ? found this one on Mikesxs but not sure if it would work with my caliper... Part # 08-6009 not planing on running it through a switch, just straight to the break. Thanks !

it would help get you answers if you put a link in to the page where the part is

I've got a new one of these that I'm putting on Ebay next week.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll let you have it for cheaper.

IMG_0709.jpg

Rich

Depend what caliper you're running. Help us out by telling us the year of your bike. Or just read the description on Mikes. Really, I'm not sure what kind of response you're looking for. Also... the one you referenced isn't slim.

Let us know what year that caliper is from. It's not the same one I have on my '81, and it's not the same one I had on my '73, so I can't really weigh in. They changed the caliper bore size over the years and, as a consequence, the MC bore size changed with it. That' what you have to match up for optimal brake feel.

I'm using one from a 99 YZ250.

Again, let's make sure that everyone understands that there is a ratio between caliper bore size and MC bore size that produces optimal braking. I don't know what's on a 99 YZ250, but it might work great for some year 650s, but it might not work at all for others. Depends on the 650 caliper.

I have an 11mm bore on my '81, which has the same stock front caliper as all single disc 650s from 77-84. 11mm is the optimal MC bore for that caliper. It's smaller than the stock MC bore and you can definitely feel a positive difference. Unfortunately, I cannot remember the stock caliper size.

I recommend you get a SS brake line, as well. It will perform better than the old rubber stock hose. Cyclebrakes makes makes excellent custom Galfer lines.

http://www.cyclebrakes.com/html/custom_lines.html

Micheal, the caliper you have is one of the later single piston calipers. As OakBehringer said an 11 mm M/C is great with the single disc brake up front.
The stock 77up M/C's are 14mm.
There are many small M/C's with the 11 mm bore. Many of the low cost M/C's on Ebay are 12.7 mm bores. Those will work fine, I have one on my bike now. The feel and power of the brake is better than the stock 14 mm bore but not quite as good as the 11 mm bore.
If you want to run a dual disc front brake a 14 mm bore M/C is a good size.
I have run that set up also.
The braided stainless lines are a big help on the feel of the brake.
I don't reccomend using the stock 30 year old rubber lines. They rot from the inside out. As they rot they not only get weaker and can blow out they shed chunks of rubber that can plug the line and caliper and the M/C. Just flushing with new fluid is not enough. Replace them.
Leo

Back