lowering external spring forks

mason s

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
have external fork springs on my xs, & am wondering if anyone has an idea as to how to go about lowering such a front end. 1" is all i really wanted to do. 1 1/2 at most. i'd just push them through the tree and inch but they have no pinch bolts on the top tree. the top fork tubes are threaded and bolted in from the top... this is my first xs, which i've been budget customizing for a couple years. getting towards the finishing touches... thanks in advance!

The only way I'd go about this is to have custom springs made up. Spring calculators and suppliers are on the net. Some engineering knowledge helps, it's a bit involved.

Some may suggest cutting the springs, not recommended. Cut ends won't be squared properly, and spring rate goes up (stiffer). But, it's been done that way before. Just know that finding replacement springs may be impossible if you decide to go back...

Um those are 70 forks and you want to hack them??? Just wondering. I'd guess the stock springs are probably sacked down an 1" already.

oh no i don't want to hack them up. especially for an inch of looks. was curious if there was a safe way to go about it. such as putting a new set of springs on.. i certainly want to keep the integrity of the original, & make sure i'm not doing any harm to them. thanks for the recommendations twomany. i'll probably just scrap the idea. though not ideal, i guess i can track down another top tree with pinch bolts that i can push them through some.

Last edited:
The 70 71 drum brake fork triples are narrower than the 72-76 disk brake units.
74-76 have pinch type top bolts. So if you have a 76 frame a 74-76 set of triples might be the way to go if you are willing to deal with a some spacers on the axle.

ah gotcha, thanks for the reply gggGary. appreciate the info. trying to learn as much as i can about these bikes, & mine in particular. i'm a little ocd, so bringing the lines together was always on my mind, but i may just call of the idea. or i guess i could try raising the rear shocks a bit, & even things out some. thanks again!

If this is going to go any further a few pics might really help to decipher what you have there and, what the heck we just like bike pics!

yes absolutely. took her out today & i think the charging system is on the fritz.. so she's tucked away at a friends for the night, but hopefully i can get it home this weekend, if so i'll take a few pictures. cheers!

Back