Lucille pulls another one on me....

To look at the half full part of the glass Pete....At least with these ol' things they are relatively cheap to rebuild...if that is a 2000 era V-Star,Shadow,Vulcan,etc,etc you would end up scrapping it or parting it out cause they are BIC lighters...they stop working..you buy a new one....the money to repair a cookie cutter bike is worth more than its marketably worth....but any money you put in ol' Luccille...you get back in enjoyment,pleasure and aiding an old friend

Wait just a second here MISTER.
A: check your nuts No, jeesus, the adjuster nuts
B: recheck your valve clearances.
C: Then plan on resetting the valves, back off the adjusters take a good look at adjuster tips and valve ends.
D: report back.

Last edited:
Hmmm...that would be nice, but the new sound is much lower pitch then the tinny ringing of a loose tapped.

Nonetheless, I’ll check it out. It would save me some work. Thanks for the thought Gary.

Pete, before pulling adjusters, take one valve lash reading with a feeler gauge, then set up a dial indicator on the rocker and see if you get a different reading. Re. cupped valve stem, depends on how bad the cupping is. If that were my motor I'd tolerate cupping if the dial indicator read .003" difference or less from the feeler gauge.

Last edited:
I don't worry about it I used to but find no issues from running, and running, and running them. After all The first specs were .012 exhaust! Always guessed that screaming from marketing is what changed the "spec". If you find the noise annoying try going from .006" down to say .005" on exhaust valves. personally I find .003" the min on intakes I used to go .0025" but stopped doing that. 20-50 (my preference valvoline VR1) tends to quiet things a bit also.

Pete, as the guys have hinted, you need to figure out what caused that >200 psi reading. Does it repeat?

Amen, Gary. Remember the old saying? "It's better to hear your valves than it is to smell 'em."

In the Guzzi world the montra is "A Tappy Tappet is a Happy Tappet"...........at least up to a certain point.

I am not sure that is the case in this circumstance. Hopefully it is but that sounds deeper like a tappet/follower/rider on a cam. Let's hope not. Definitely worth a looksee to make sure.

Sorry, Pete, no. Gotta pull the engine.

Unless you want to saw the backbone off. :yikes:
It's possible to lean the engine in the frame and get the valve cover off. Might want to try it, since you'll reach that point taking the engine out anyway.

The concerning part to me Pete, is you said it started suddenly. That doesn't really point to an adjustment problem. That usually indicates a failure of some sort.
Although we tend to suddenly notice things that have been going on for awhile.

Back