Luggage Rack Question

REPETE

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello All!
Did Yamaha make an optional luggage rack to fit the '75 XS650B?
I've searched around on & off and they all seem to be for the earlier XS's and the later 70's XS's.
Almost (from my unscientific position) like they stopped making them and then started up again.
Any info. would be appreciated.
Thanks

Repete

I appreciate the hints. The "standard rear rack pics" helped me decide on a style. I definitely prefer the slats traveling longitudinally with the bike - front to back.
On Ebay, I found a possible candidate, but it's listed for a 1975 XS500.
I'm hoping someone will know if the XS500 & XS650 share a common frame and presumably rack mounting points?
Comparing the schematics on Partzilla I don't think so, but there's folks on here that know the nuances.
If yes, I'll grab it and have it refinished sometime down the road.

P

Last edited:
Hi Pete,
there's also the DIY option:-
650 rear rack 1.JPG
Custom-folded #8 gage aluminum sheet + ex-Harley chrome rack

Last edited:
Nice work Fredintoon -
But not a project I'm willing to attempt.
Looks like I'll just need to remain patient or gamble some $$$ on something that looks close and possibly modify it,

The correct EMGO rack is a perfect fit on the XS650 Standard frame - I'd hold out for one of those if I were you. They do come up on eBay periodically.

Pete

How nice of a rack do you need?
I'm not adverse to having something re-chromed, but I don't want a bent and damaged reclamation project either.
I am also going to walk back my statement of willingness to invest $$$ into modifying an incorrect rack based on MaxPete's suggestion that the EMGO's do pop up from time to time. I guess I've just been unlucky so far.
Deferring to patience.
If your asking because you have a correct and undamaged rack that isn't in good aesthetic condition I'd like to see it.

...and if I had the correct EMGO (edit: AMCO) model / part number, I could quote it and you could set a watch for it.

About 3-4 years ago, Mailman and I nailed two of them still in their 1970's cardboard wrappers.

Does anybody have that AMCO model number?

Last edited:
...and I had to correct EMGO model/part number, I could quote it and you could set a watch for it.

About 3-4 years ago, Mailman and I nailed two of them still in their 1970's cardboard wrappers.

Does anybody have that EMGO model number?

This would be VERY useful. Than you for thinking to ask everyone!

Ahhhh...AMCO. You are correct Machine (and I have edited my initial post naming "EMCO").

I am on a ZOOM call right now but we took a break and so I nipped out a photographed the label on Lucille's rack (now you boys just simmer down...:rolleyes: ) and it is indeed an AMCO.

Unfortunately, the model number is not there.
Lucille_AMCO_rack.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Willis!
I'd be good with crusty... you should see some of the starting points on my restorations :eek:

I looked at his post. Now the dumb ass question part. I've never messaged anybody on this site. I don't see a a messaging option. I do see a place to "start a conversation" :umm:

Is that how you're supposed to contact someone directly?

I apologize in advance for my ignorance. It just isn't obvious to me.

P

Back