Mac 2 into 1 fit issues!

rowdyrandy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys, well... i've been a long time snooper and now it seems its time to finally man up and join, feels like the right thing to do and don't i need the help! About a few months ago i picked up a stock 75 xs650b and after enjoying it as is i decide to search for a few parts. Enter the mac 2 into 1 exhaust. Picked this up off of craigslist about a week ago and just got around to putting it on this weekend. Got the stock headers off and began to mock these up and it suddenly hits me that nothing here seems right. The diameter of the pipe at the head is smaller than stock and its about twice as long, leaving about a 1/4 inch gap..whats going on here?::wtf: my first reaction is these aren't made for a 650, but why sell them as such if it's only going to come right back to you...i thought this would be a no brainer, can anybody shed some light on this before i call the guy up and bring em back? I'm posting in a few other forums and any help would be really appreciated, thanks in advance!

Attachments

• CIMG0052.jpg
    CIMG0052.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 199
Thats normal. As long as the pipe ends seals on the exhaust gasket all is well. Tightening the nuts is a bit of an art. You need to seat the pipe but not go too tight. You will start to bend the flanges. Use good lock washers to keep the nuts in place. Sometimes I start off easy and tighten if needed to get a better seal. Not my favorite pipes but the price is right.

Last edited:
Yep, most after market pipes fit that way. Some have a more stock looking finned flange. If you look at pics of bikes with aftermarket pipes you will see.

no kiddin....although in that picture I don't have the exhaust gasket in, I pulled it out cause it added another few mm's and I was trying to get it flush...isnt this type of setup just asking for an ehaust leak though? Seems like there's gotta be a better way or that i'm missing something..after all the system is used.. and twojugs you're right the price was right I only paid $120 for it..i kinda don't want to give it up :)

I bought my used ones for the same. Sad that the new ones I bought for more then twice that started flaking the chrome at the bend just past the exhaust port. Now a year later the chrome is peeling in big chunks where the header goes into the collector. I contacted them early on but they would not offer any satisfaction since I had no reciept. I know they need to draw a line but someone else put these on for me and did not give me the original paperwork. When it first started flaking the pripes looked brand new except for the small flake at the top. Now they are pretty bad looking. They also rusted up easily when caught in the rain. Cleaning the rust spots left stains in the chrome. I guess that is why they have the cheapest prices.

yeah these have quite a bit of blueing in the pipes but I planned on wrapping them anyway so finish isn't my top priority, although even with the wrap rust still could be an issue..either way fit is my main concern and I trust the opinions I receive here but that said, it still seems janky to me, and if that's the best fit they offer i'll probably return them...: /

oh yeah, i definitely see what your talking about...thats a bummer and i guess i can wait for the same, maybe that'll be the time to wrap them. well my question was about fit and you guys cleared that up. im still not stoked on it but i was thinking..maybe it would be possible to cut the pipes right at the flange and use this kit from lowbrow to get a better fit and seal the gap....that it of course when i fall ass backwards into some money :laugh: since there asking $85 for the pair...:laugh:

Attachments

• detail_376_xs650-exhaust-manifold-photo-1.jpg
    detail_376_xs650-exhaust-manifold-photo-1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 142
  • large_376_xs650-exhaust-manifold-photo-2.jpg
    large_376_xs650-exhaust-manifold-photo-2.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 132
Back