Mag wheel question

wes63bug

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok im new here and to yamahas, i have a 72 xs2 with the spokes, i was wondering, will the mag wheels off a later bike fit on mine? i like the way they look, and would like a 16 in back instead of my 18. Heres a pic so you know what i have and what i would like, any info would be great, thanks guys.

My 72 with spokes
2011-09-13220137.jpg

wheels i would like
user6102_pic3852_1312978822.jpg

A DRUM rear mag will bolt on. The front is not so easy, on a 72 you would have to change forks up to a 74-75 I think to be able to keep a brake on it. (Highly recomended!) There's a gotcha on fork swaps too at some point around 1975 the steering stem gets about 1/2" longer.

Thanks gary, yeah I guess I fogot to mention one other thing, I will be swapping forks and trees from a 75 onto it, so I guess ill be good then. Sorry for the newb question, just so many little differnces on things when it comes to certain years wanted to make sure.

looks like he's already got a 73 or later front fork in that first pic (his bike) so front wheel from 73-76 used that style brake calipher/disc but discs are inter-changable between years, only 81's had 16" rear mag with drum brake

Dunno?? looks like an early triple, I think we have visited this fork before............. 72-73 do not have the 6 bolt rotor mount and those forks have differences from the 74-76 units top and bottom. His fork damper knob is MIA also.

In spite of the sacrilege of cutting an early tank, I like those lines, big project but that would look very cool with a new bottom welded in to fit.............

PS for the rear mag going disk is no big deal if you get the swing arm, spacers and all from a disk bike

Yeah I thought the bike was a 76, but turned out to be a 72, but it has early forks and trees like gary said, I took the dampener thing off for now. I will be doing a hard tail on it so rear won't matter, and the front will have a 75 front forks and trees. So I should be good then by the sounds of it. Thanks all for the info and gary I cut the tank before I knew it was an early, then when I started grinding off bondo I saw the side badge spot, whoops, lol, newbie mistake, oh we'll thanks for the compliment on it though.

lower sliders and maybe disc but the calipher is 73-76 doesn't matter what the triple trees are could be kaw/honda/suz as long as tubes fit, guess he'll have to count disc mount bolts to narrow down year for the wheel

Back