Mechanical advance getting worn and breaking.

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone had trouble with the Mikesxs mechanical advance? I have the Pamco and I have gone through two advance assemblies in a season and a half. :banghead:

Yes, there have been reports about poor quality on those MikesXS repro advance units. Although they're cheaper than a new original, they're not that cheap where you want to be buying one every 9 months, lol. I would suggest switching to the E-advance, which eliminates the advance unit completely, or finding a nice used original. With more and more people switching to the E-advance, someone would probably sell you their old original for a good price.

is there a kit to convert from the mechanical advance pamco to e-advance? Does the pamco unit itself need to be replaced/upgraded?

You can do either, just add the E-advance unit to your basic Pamco or buy the complete new unit.
With adding the e-advance to your basic unit the e-advance has most everything on the new board. The only thing the New unit uses is the Hall Effect transistor.
The new unit only has the Hall Effect transistor on the sensor plate.
If you buy a complete new unit you can sell the one you have now.
I had the basic unit. I got a Pamco with the E-advancer. I tried the e-advancer with the basic unit. I then put the e-advancer sensor plate in.
I did this so I could answer a question like yours.
I then sold my basic unit to a guy on here.
I like the E-advancer unit, the mechanical advancer has play in it. It needs a bit of play to function. This play can let the timing vary just a bit. Hardly noticeable until you try the e-advancer. This eliminates any variation in timing. It smoothed out the engine a noticeable amount.
Leo

Back