Metal Motorcycle Art

Okee dokee. Works for me. Where can we see your art? I never get tired of seeing new work.

Teebs doesn't do art. He does crafts.. like gluing popsicle sticks together to make houses. :laugh:

Lightbulb!
Gluing popsicle sticks together to make houses = Welding nuts and bolts together to make motorcycles.

What if you make a killer popsicle stick house that is so damn creative that no one has ever done anything like it... and it's beautiful... and it "invokes an emotional response from the viewer" or something like that.. Can it be called art then? :D

Can it be called art then? :D

Complexity appeals to them more than anything. If it was more complex than what they were doing, they'd have to seriously consider welcoming it aboard :)

Teebs doesn't do art. He does crafts. like gluing popsicle sticks together to make houses. :laugh:

It's TRUE! But I don't use Popsicle sticks, I use tongue depressors, Mr. Knowitall. I just completed a full-scale replica of the entire Hogwarts school, grounds and all, using nothing but tongue depressors, gimp and Easy Cheese. Easy Cheese is a great adhesive and doubles as a medium for creating all sorts of other stuff. (You should see Hagrid's Easy Cheese beard, it took like 8 cans and it's SOOOOOOOOO KEEEEEEEWL!!!)

Bow down to my uber-kewl tongue-depressor art making skilz. I gots 'em, don't even front.

(I really like saying "tongue depressor".) Tooooongue deeeepreeeessooooooor...

Last edited:
One time I had an email discussion with a curator of a Van Gogh exhibit about why Van Gogh isn't considered a folk artist, since he was self-taught. He obviously isn't a folk artist, but the reason he isn't is because he taught himself a certain tradition. Muse on that and it reveals a little about what is considered art (vs folk art).

I think what you mean is that he didn't have a traditional formal education. However, he was constantly surrounded by some of the greatest painters of his time. He attended Académie Royale des Beaux-Arts , the Hague School and the Academy of Fine Arts in Antwerp. He stayed at each place long enough to learn what he needed.
He also learned at the hands of such artists as Willem Roelofs and Anton Mauve, was mentored and supported by them. He lived among some of the greatest artists of his time and shared knowledge with them. His brother supported him and he lived and breathed nothing but art. If he wasn't painting he was studying the works of the masters. His entire life's work reflected the influences of his learning at some of the finest art schools in Europe.
He didn't teach himself a "certain tradition", he cherry-picked knowledge and studied everything that seemed relevant to his needs, and developed a style all his own. This is exactly what sets him apart from the majority of his contemporaries and a good part of the reason why he was unsuccessful in his time; his art was his own and not what was "traditional".
Regardless, a degree won't make you an artist. Highly developed skills, natural talent, a firm grasp of the many years of gathered wisdom and knowledge of your predecessors, and a large dose of creativity is what makes an artist.
Finally, and getting to the heart of your email discussion, van Gogh wasn't a folk artist because his work wasn't in the least unsophisticated. He painted for himself, for art's sake, works of aesthetic superiority (exemplified by his clear understanding of palette and his incredibly uniform brushstrokes) the very definition of fine art.

BTW, thanks for the art debate. It's always enjoyable. :)

:laugh: yep! pretty much! He sent me a link to the XS650 chopper after I emailed him. He said it was loosely based on the XS650. I mentioned the XS-1 model would need a few key characteristics to make it an XS650, like double down tubes, and twin cylinders. It'll probably looks something like this http://www.etsy.com/listing/37703232/1972-bsa-lightning-tig-welded-motorcycle but hopefully with a few special features to make it an XS650. What else would I want to make sure he captured? Maybe the side covers, tank and seat style, and maybe the look of the swingarm and rear shock? No matter what it's going to look like a triumph or bsa. But I'll know it's an XS650 :wink2:

I might remember wrongly but I think the curator emphasized the role of Theo, who was a successful art dealer and connoisseur.

To me honestly, artistic sophistication is dependent on culture and V.G. was sophisticated within a culture. In other words again not science and ultimately not defensible logically past a certain point. I like some art that is sophisticated within a certain culture but someone from the classical culture might call it ghastly, unless they're in a gratuitous mood :) But of course it isn't, because it's sophisticated (within a culture foreign to them).

At that point it's liable to turn into a discussion of the superiority of certain cultures, which to me takes it into a realm that's not a good use of art.

Yes, Theo was his brother, and ultimately supported him his whole life. Vincent van Gogh very likely never would have been heard of, and could easily have been just another insane homeless person, if not for him.

I've had conversations similar to this too many times to count. It seems to be SOP when two artists of differing camps come together to hammer on this until one or both of them stomps off or cries. (I'm exaggerating of course... sort of.) You can continue to argue your point, and while I respect you for feeling passionate about it, I reject it, and will maintain that as with any other profession, unless you are an artist or at the very least an art historian, your position is weak as you don't have the education or talent to form a qualified argument.
One of the things I find curious about people is their need to believe that they have the ability, without training, to argue with a trained professional, who makes his living with art, when they wouldn't presume to do so with someone in another profession and would be furious if I presumed to argue with them about theirs. This is beside the fact that people actually become hostile when I say "that is not art," as if it's a personal affront to them, even though I have an entire life of study, a Masters degree, and a successful career as opposed to their one or two college level art classes (presuming they went to college.) You can say it's subjective all you want. You can think it's art all you want, that won't make it so.
With that, while I appreciate the discourse, I get enough of this at every show I'm in or attend. Since you won't be buying my work I don't have to continue talking shop with a layman. Feel free to have the last word. :)

Since you won't be buying my work I don't have to continue talking shop with a layman.

Now you're sounding like a mechanic (who's detected a do-it-yourselfer looking for input). Watching my hero Leatherstockings deal with David Gamut resolved a big issue with me and I've never been angry with an artist since. But Gamut displays his craft at every opportunity (and every inopportune time for that matter). In other words, this thread is useless with out pictures!

Hey hey. You guys can argue art all you want, but lay off the mechanics. WE are very sensitive! Bad enought Teebs doesn't want to leave his car ALONE with a mechanic, now this... I'm going to cry myself to sleep now.. sorry..

Well, I just joined the board so I'm gonna break my cherry since I found this post first.

I do stuff like this on the side for money. I have made quite a few little sculptures in the past.

Here are the only two I have left. They take about 4-12 hours depending on the detail and finish.

These are both unfinished at the time of the picture.

These are made from bicycle parts, old tools, spoons, bottle openers, bearings, caster wheels, spokes, and whatever else I have.

IM000520.jpg

I usually have people send me pics of their bike and I recreate them using stuff I have collected.

People call me an artist. I say I'm more of a craftsman. My shit doesn't mean a damn thing but the fact that I want your money in my pocket.

"What were you feeling when you made this piece?"- Art lover

"Well, I was feeling about 6 tall boys deep and a bit hungry." Me

Back