Mikes mini gauges

schlakeandbake308

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Im not going to lie, I'm very angry with mikesxs. I ordered a set of 2.25 mini gauges for my bike. Got them all wired in and what do you know, ones led, and ones halogen. dammit. go check, and sure enough, i missed the fine print that stated they had different illumination. fine... so i ordered another one... it arrived last week and after totally re wiring the headlight again so this gauge would work, i kick the bike over, and the back light is BLUE!!! WTF!! who wants a BLUE backlit gauge? is it so much to ask, to just have two Gauges backlit with white! After being angry for a while, i decide to take them off, so that i can sent them back and ask for gauges that match. as soon as i go to move the Tach, the wires come out of the gauge. so now i have 3 useless gauges. Emailed customer service, we will see...

Attachments

• IMG_2024-3.jpg
    IMG_2024-3.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 147
forgot the most important question... i can't for the life of me figure out how to take these apart. anyone ever had to replace a bulb before, or know what i can do to fix them?

Frankly, it'd look great on my BLUE bike! :wink2:

Pending your results from cust service, 2 options:

1) If they will warranty them, do NOT take them apart. They'll likely blame their malfunction on you.

2) No warranty? A lot of retail sources have a stipulation for "No returns on electrical items".:( If you're left to your own devices, the tach with no wires....reasonably disassemble it with gusto, and learn the trick to take the other ones apart. My preliminary guess: the chrome trim ring will snap off, the bracket on the back should be able to be removed exposing more hardware....or even a dial or switch to.....change the color of the LED??????:shrug:

Good luck!

I'm interested to see how you get on if you decide to attempt a colour change. I've just bought an XS that has the same issue. I emailed MikesXS this week to see if they could offer any pointers re pulling the gauges apart but alas they could not.

I see no reason to be angry at Mikes XS. If you had asked the key questions before ordering, you would know exactly what you're gunna get.

Mikes is recently under new management. Russ (manager) has been great with answering all my questions and being responsible about the products.

Good luck with the gauge situation. It has been my experience that all gauges allow for replacement of the bulb, and with whatever color you want. I find my replacements online or my local electronics store.

I'll let you guys know how it goes... My frustration with mikes is long standing. I really do hope they do well and I honestly believe that they will help, especially with some new management. I was angry when I posted and maybe a little too hasty. I had to tear into a freshly rebuilt motor apart this summer after a brand new mikes cam chain guide broke off. It's a combination of this cold winter weather and being cooped up. Apologies to any mikes xs folks on here. Hopefully it'll get worked out

I understand where you're coming from, schlakeandbake308. Been there too many times, myself.

I'm beginning to get that cooped up feeling myself, even tho us Northeasters have lucked out with mild weather so far this winter; I took a 6 hour ride the day before Christmas.

Good luck with your project, and do keep us informed.

Back