Mikes xs coil does not fit.

3F73CAC4-7F4B-45C0-9C6B-2B128C95B976.jpeg
So this is where my ignition rod is positioned at TDC. Should be straight in line vertically with the motor but it is not right? This is weird to me because before I put in the electronic ignition in I could just get the timing in range fully retarded and points set on the tight side. Bike ran good with no misfires or anything. Would it do that if the cam was off by a tooth? Thank you for your patience. I enjoy doing this stuff but as you can see I am flying by the seat of my pants a little.

Last edited:
The little pin showing on your advance plate just below the letter "A" is the retaining pin for the pin that aligns the advance unit on the cam. It is right above it. At TDC, that pin should point straight up. Yours does look off so yes, maybe you are off a tooth with the chain install on the cam. With a new tight chain, you should be right about in the middle of your timing adjustment slot with plenty to spare.

It will run but not so well.
I remember when I was younger they sold a timing kit for V8 engines. The one of the sprockets had extra key ways. You could advance or retard the cam timing. As I recall it was like 4*. One way improved top end, the other low end. Don't recall which is which now.
One tooth on the cam sprocket is 10*. Much more than the 4* of those old kits.
Leo

Back