model I.D. please

Fraser

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been looking, and I've been seeing a lot of numbers on different sites.

2FO - 117532 on the engine block, I'm seeing the paint wrong I think.

The colour of the tank is a green/blue, but has chrome fenders front & back.

I'm pretty sure there's no mistake on the year...... a '78, but why/what are the differences and how would that make "parts" difficult to order other than paint livery then ?

or is there some engine changes to be aware of ?

Thank You
for your help K ?

fraser
MERCY, it's cold up here :( can not wait till Spring guys ":)"

'78 Standards came in green, '77 and '79s in blue. Number seems to indicate a '78 Standard. Body parts and fenders are easily changed. All had chrome fenders but the Special versions are a bit shorter. Not many engine changes to speak of. Carbs and ignition changed in '80. Parts are pretty readily available for all models except maybe the very early ones.

74 to 79 motors were identical pretty much. 79 to 84 there was specials (frame different, mag wheels and CDI ignition) 70 to 73 are slightly different motors internally and frames are weaker. 74 to 76 forks are 34mm 77 up are 35mm.

"H" mmmmmmmmmmmmmm ?

ours has mag wheels. the side covers say "Special" 650

So you boys are saying , don't get excited about the inside working parts for this engine then ? Should I need to replace anything..... good for go ?

Thank You, your words really do help. This is something very new for us. Ha, we even went out & bought wrenches for this project eh :) We're learning, and this forum is a pretty sweet deal. Wish I could help others as I'm receiving the help.

hahaha I'm a Barber for 40years in a small town.... people talk to me about their problems :) :) :) kinda a cheap therapist "?" should anyone need an ear ?

OH Oh Oh, Prostate cancer now for 9years & holding & a kidney removed Christmas of '09 cancer as well...... so I DO KNOW about those two cancers, should anyone need information/talk on them. REALLY~been there done that and still chugg'in :)

Anyhow, Thank You.
fraser

good to go man, motor wise you can get all you need except new CDI parts. But pamco pete on here makes a killer replacement ignition system should the need arise.

I assume you know of XS650direct.com

The number on the engine is the engine number. It came from the factory matching the frame number. If they don't match, go by the frame number to identify the bikes year and model. If the frame number is the same as your engine number then it's a 78 SE.
Yes as others have said from 74 up to the last years the engines are pretty much the same. The carbs changed every two years, the cam chain adjusters changed about the same. The clutches changed in mid 70's from the older 5 plate, with o-rings to the later 6 plate with a spring washer . Or was it 6 to 7 plates? In 80 they switch to an electronic ignition and solid state regulator and rectifier.
The outer appearance of the bike changed in 78 and again in 80. Mostly seat and grab rail, and shock position. The doodads they added to the electrical system after 74 were as much trouble as a help.
I would reccomend a good repair manual. wwwamckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf is a carb guide that explains the maintainance and tuning of the carbs, a very good thing to read and understand. At the top of the page there is a heading Tech, click this and it has a list of topics that can help.
As you read through this site going back a few, to a dozen pages will give you a good idea of the things most apt to be a bit of trouble.

Welcome to the XS650 world Fraser. If you have a 78 I'm sure you will have fun with it. I have a 78 Special, which I've driven for the last 4 seasons. They are easy to work on, parts are not too expensive and a real blast to ride.

I'm from Ontario................just wondering which small town you are in?

pretty much every one who lives in alberta is from or their parents are from Ontario. lolololollllll
I was in this bar in Calgary back in '75, and this guy starts yacking on "Ontario" people... I said, "your folks were born/raised where then ? " YUP, that shut his pie hole pretty quick hahahaha I was looking at relocating to Rockey Mountian House, "Home Hardware Lumber" had an opening for Ass Manager.

Tillsonburg Ontario . 17m in from Lake Erie. 36m from London. 1.5hr from Niagara Falls.
You were from where then ? :)

f.

Yes, I know where Tillsonburg is. In my younger days, I worked around southern Ontario..........Windsor, Chatham, London, Hamilton, Niagra Falls. I'm originally from Prescott, but have lived in Burlington, Kingston, Deep River, and Whitby.

I guess Tobacca is not as big a crop as it used to be in your area.

Holy Moly were you with the circus then ? :)

The "smoke", what a freaing mess man !
The tobacco farmers have been on the run as the huge Tobacco Co., can buy cheap tobacco from South Africa & China eh. Like our boys would get perhaps $ 2.25lb while the china & African boys only get .45 eh ? :( Guss you taught those countries to grow GREAT tobacco ??? YUP, the stupid local farmers around here eh !!! dummies !

Anyhow, the big boys won out, then a local few farmers started "thier~own" Tobacco Co., and got a bunch of local farmers in on contract....... well, that failed, now the local farmers got jack for their crop, no body bought it. Lets K&T K ?

Natural Gas : to cure the tobacco on the farm....... $ 28,000.00 for the crop.
Hydro : to run pumps & machinery in the barns..... 12,000.00 for the crop.

Say good night to the local boys ! Wanna buy a 200ac farm then ? W/a nice house.

Bummer ! The average tobacco farmer, would have in his bank account, after all his bills were paid $ 58,000.00 C A S H ! that's including feeding his family, cars & trucks..... going to movies thats NET NET NET !!!!!!!!!! for a whole year including household expences man ! Some would say "GREED "

sorry for the rant, but...... they use to rub their life style into other peoples faces around here eh. now..... it's a way different story. They are going to loose their farms over this greed s@#T !

f.

Back