My '79 basket case build

First of all, thanks guys.

:laugh:@atomic22. Brother, just jump in and do it. Have no fear. Mistakes are how we learn and what grinders are for... :thumbsup:

Headlight mount

Attachments

• headlight_mount_2_001.JPG
    headlight_mount_2_001.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 163
  • headlight_mount_2_002.JPG
    headlight_mount_2_002.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 160
  • headlight_mount_2_003.JPG
    headlight_mount_2_003.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 174
  • chop_001.JPG
    chop_001.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 188
  • chop_002.JPG
    chop_002.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 573
I don't want to make a habit of this, but if you added a second rear seat rail........... to match the headlight mount theme..........

Great Gary, why didn't you come up with that idea before I welded the exhaust pipe hanger on?

Really digging it so far. Just wondering looking at the side view, does it need a little rake to "balance" it? Speaking strictly from an eye ball perspective, not performance of course.

Yeah it does, curt. It has bugged me for a while. Not sure what's going to happen there. I'm also not liking the seat area so much anymore, and am really thinking about redoing that.

- rake and seat both stand out in the way a pimple on a pretty girls face does while youre tripping :D:bike:

lol nice imagery. I'm probably going to end up doing a longer flat drop seat and I've said right along that I fucked up by welding the gussets in because I knew I'd end up needing to rake it out. So, that will probably get done soon.

The seat was more comfortable before I added the thickness of the padding to it. That few inches of height and inch or so push forward makes for a bit of an awkward sitting position.

Might want to leave the seat untill you figure the rake out. The seat might look right on once the bike drops from the rake. Just trying to save some work!

Yeah, that won't be the case. At least not for me. It's not just a matter of looks, but final seating position, which won't change regardless of rake. It's not bad, but I think a flat drop seat running parallel and just above the pipes would look better, and I could extend the seat back another 3 to 5 inches giving me some more leg room.

Thanks for making all this extra work for me guys! You :rock:

So, I figure more along the lines of this:

Attachments

• chop_photoshopped_001.jpg
    chop_photoshopped_001.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 199
So, I cut the seat section off yesterday! I'll be mocking up a new one tomorrow. I need to go to the steel yard to pick up some tubing for that and the neck. I think I'm going to gooseneck it and run a single downtube up front. If I'm hacking the neck off, might as well do it right. I guess that means making a new jig too...

Well, I got the seat "done" today, meaning I got it tacked together and on the frame. Totally different look and I think I'll hold back on pics for now.

I also got the handlebars fabbed and tacked today. They turned out great. 8" at the clamps with 10" rise and 4" pullback. The overall width is 19". The pics are horrible, but I'll get some more up in the next few days.

bars_front.jpg

bars_back-1.jpg

In the next few days I plan on raking the neck. I haven't really decided how I want to go about it. I could gooseneck it, or I could do it the easy way and just cut some out of the backbone. I'm leaning toward the easy way right now.

I've also decided to fab a new tank. Or at least I think I have. Or maybe I'll cut up an old YA6 tank I have and rework it.

Those bars are awesome! Cut that tank! Do this now. BTW, that mirror is only gonna give you a view of your elbow or your own damn ugly face. (was that too harsh? I know you're sensitive)

Ugly face maybe... but the ladies love my elbows.

lol I'll be hacking into that mirror too. I left it there because it was the only place it didn't get in the way of my friggin hand. Soon to be worked with some round bar.

Glad you like the bars and I appreciate the good words, guys.

Mount the mirror down on the upright part of the bars just up from the corner.

nice bars, Teeb. I like those alot. Hope you can take a pic or two during the raking - altho I realize your attention will probably be on the "doing" of the raking.

Back