My best Christmas ever! 😃

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I was 10 years old and found this next to the Christmas tree! WHEEE! 😁
IMG_6474.jpeg

.......and wheelies became a thing........

Oh man, you know it! Wheelies and jumping over anything I could! I thought I was Evel Knevel on that bike! 😆
View attachment 258248

Back in the day, I rode a standard. My friends all rode Specials. It used to bother them that I was much faster.

That’s a nice bike! 🙂

When I started high school I bought a 10 speed, they were all the rage then. I had two best friends, one rode a Schwinn Varsity, one rode a Peugeot and I had a Steyr Clubman.
Steyr Daimler Puch was an Austrian company that sold bikes back then ( 1970 ) the Clubman had an all aluminum frame and was light as a feather. And it was also considered their low tier, entry level bike. 🤷‍♂️ I still loved it though, man I rode the wheels off that bike!
IMG_6479.jpeg
IMG_6480.jpeg
IMG_6478.jpeg

I "inherited" my older brother's Fat Tire Schwinn. It did end up with a set of ape hangers and a banana seat. I don't recall for sure but those were probably gifts as my allowance certainly wouldn't have covered them.

I was too old for a Stingray bike but in 1958 I got a new Schwinn Corvette. 26" with semi pneumatic tires, Bendix 2 speed and generator lights. Way cool! What`s left of it is still hanging on my basement wall waiting for restoration.:thumbsup: Identical to the one pictured.
fc01294cb976f874f5140922e9514608.jpg

Last edited:
As a young lad I used to ride around on my dad's get to work bike; a small wheeled heavy durable tank of a bike similar to this:
Screenshot 2023-12-26 at 11.06.23.png

Hardly the thing to beat your mates in a race; and certainly nothing to impress the chicks with!

What we all really wanted back then was one of these:

Screenshot 2023-12-26 at 11.07.41.png

A Raleigh Chopper! Totally crap to ride and poor handling; but Oh what a style statement of the day. Only one lad on our street had one, 'Spoilt' Mark who's seemingly wealthy parents owned the local news agent store. I never got one of those bikes. Image above taken from eBay today £3,000.00... Nuts!

My first proper bike I got when my Grand Mother passed away and left me some money in her will. I loved cycling and coveted a racing bike so I bought a Peugeot Triathalon machine similar this one:

Screenshot 2023-12-26 at 10.53.09.png

I loved that bike and road it everywhere daily. I changed the gearing to a more touring friendly set up and embarked on my first ever 'distance' tours around the UK: Cornwall, North Wales and other beautiful areas. Always went with my mate Tony who had a Team Raleigh Europa Replica bike like this one:
Screenshot 2023-12-26 at 11.20.49.png

We toured all over on these bikes until old enough to go pub drinking, chase girls for favour, and smoke fags!
Of course Motor bikes were the order of the day by now and we toured on many classic and modern machines all over Europe until into our late twenties. That is until he got hitched to a woman that changed his whole state of mind! Sadly he lost his own sense of direction together with his hair.... Shame!

My bike as a kid was a Schwinn Typhoon, like this one:
1703593619446.png

As I recall though, mine had the chrome fenders. I was probably 8 years old at the time, and to me, that bike was like a HD. A great big one-speed that, compared to most of the other kids' bikes was fast as hell. Nobody wore helmets (why?}. Baseball cards in the spokes were optional. I rode it into the ground. I had a Raleigh Record in high school, but when I got my license, "who needs a bike when I have a car?"

I was too old for a Stingray bike but in 1958 I got a new Schwinn Corvette. 26" with semi pneumatic tires, Bendix 2 speed and generator lights. Way cool! What`s left of it is still hanging on my basement wall waiting for restoration.:thumbsup: Identical to the one pictured.
View attachment 258287

I’m always amazed that people can hang on to one thing for decades. A first car or motorcycle or bicycle 😃. I still have exactly three things that I have carried forward from my youth, a Louisville Slugger baseball bat that bought with money mowing yards as a kid, a youth model 20 guage shotgun that my father bought me as a boy, and a Ruger .22 caliber rifle that my grandfather bought me for my 13th birthday. And that’s it! 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I`ve still got the Louisville Slugger, Spaulding ball and Wilson glove and a Savage .22 rifle. Never had a shotgun as a kid. Still got the Tinker Toys, Lincoln Logs, Lionel train, Gilbert chemistry/microscope set and a shit load of stuff I`ll never use again but will make a hell of a estate sale.:thumbsup:

I`ve still got the Louisville Slugger, Spaulding ball and Wilson glove and a Savage .22 rifle. Never had a shotgun as a kid. Still got the Tinker Toys, Lincoln Logs, Lionel train, Gilbert chemistry/microscope set and a shit load of stuff I`ll never use again but will make a hell of a estate sale.:thumbsup:

Wow! That’s pretty amazing. 😃

I’m always amazed that people can hang on to one thing for decades. A first car or motorcycle or bicycle 😃. I still have exactly three things that I have carried forward from my youth, a Louisville Slugger baseball bat that bought with money mowing yards as a kid, a youth model 20 guage shotgun that my father bought me as a boy, and a Roger .22 caliber rifle that my grandfather bought me for my 13th birthday. And that’s it! 🤷‍♂️
Well, my parents are like that, and I appreciate it. When they go, I can get rid of just about everything with no remorse. I believe my wife won’t be that lucky.

Back