My BS38's came in today!!

suthpaw before I ever went to the trouble to mount those carbs I'd check a few more things. The needle jet has small holes in the side that need to be clear. Reference is Mikes Part #48-0658 .
Also the little brass pick-up tube in the carb body. I'd also pull the pilot's and write down the size(cause I hafta make notes now) then hold them up to the light. Do you see a crisp round hole or a fuzzy one? Now I'd jam the tube of an areosol can of carb cleaner in the pilot hole and check to see if I'm getting fluid out the feed holes in the carb body. Then the choke plungers again spraying to see if the passage is clear. Then the pilot screws and passage. This thread may be of interest. Check for gaskets under the choke plates sometimes they get left out.

Last edited:
A little pointer for those soft headed screws. I've read that the Japanese philips screws have a slightly different head than the north american philips. If you grind the tip of the screw driver off, just a bit, it will seat better and less stripped screws. I've tried it and it seems to work. Your carbs may be on and off quite a bit in the beginning and this trick will help.

Couldn't sleep to well last night so I got up and I think I did what you were saying Sundie. I've got them pretty darn close. I saw 3 pin holes, but lined them up with the closest one to the opening.

It is a really tight sqeeze trying to mount them. I went out to my shop and tried this morning before I got on here. I think I've seen someone on here discussing mounting carbs, so I'm going to do a little research. Looks to me that the big bolt in the back of the motor needs to come out, but I'm not going to start pulling stuff I'm not familiar with without verifying that.

Weekendrider, I also pulled the pilots out last night and they looked good. I wasn't on here and didn't see your post, but when I go to pull them out again I'll make the notes and hold them to the light. The notes really will be helpful for when its time to replace things. I plan on replacing these phillips heads with the hex bolts in the next few weeks. I've seen the sets on eBay.

Just buying the bike I'm eager to see what its going to do and what I'm going to need that I am unaware of. The guy who was working on it that I got it from really seemed to do a good job and know what he was doing, but as a buyer I'm really not going to know whats going on with it until I try it.

Dogger, thats a very good tip. I'm going to have to try it. Someone had stripped several of the phillips heads before I got it and I had a time getting them out. I had to use a small vise grip on a few of them.

Good luck! If it hasn't been mentioned already, I'd recommend putting an in-line fuel filter in the fuel line before you put any gas through them.

Thanks Travis. I went by a response you had sent to Benjamin a little while back and they went right on. I was thinking about trying to get a in line filter when I went to the auto parts store today to get some hose. I hooked up my throttle cable though and I'm still having the same issue that I posted earlier. The throttle is not returning to the closed position by itself.

I hooked up my throttle cable though and I'm still having the same issue that I posted earlier. The throttle is not returning to the closed position by itself.

Here's the link to that thread if anyone wants to see what's been suggested already or suggest something else to try: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=762 Might as well keep the throttle sticking discussion all in one place.

It is a really tight sqeeze trying to mount them. I went out to my shop and tried this morning before I got on here. I think I've seen someone on here discussing mounting carbs, so I'm going to do a little research. Looks to me that the big bolt in the back of the motor needs to come out, but I'm not going to start pulling stuff I'm not familiar with without verifying that.

Remove the cam chain adjuster nut. That will give you *just* enough space to squeeze them into the frame and get them positioned for the seating. Don't forget to put it back on. It's the big 22mm (IIRC) one.

That big bolt must be the cam chain adjuster. I got the carbs on without undoing it. I had it angled just so and squeezed by everything. I went to the auto parts store and got some fuel line and 2 in line filters. I have all that hooked up waiting for the petcocks to come in.

Nice.. Is your tank clean on the inside? If not, might as well clean it out while you're waiting for the petcocks.

And the thread died......
Gotta wonder what happened? Like a mystery novel with the last three pages ripped out.

yeah.. they probably went on fine and everything worked out. otherwise I'm sure we would have heard more.

Back