My first car

magoo66

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
1967 Chevlle,non SS.A 6 cylinder car turned into 283 powerhouse lol.At almost 16,for some reason the 69 Blue GTO Judge with white interior I’d been driving around couldn’t be mine. I was to young,it wouldn’t be right.To flashy. I “understand now but then I didn’t.It would fly.Re:Mom & Dad taught me to work hard at a young age,pay your own way.Son,you just ain’t gonna keep that GTO Judge.

Attachments

• 1A22E9D0-7A03-4274-B0E8-755AAFD66773.jpeg
    1A22E9D0-7A03-4274-B0E8-755AAFD66773.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 36
I'll play, Don. :geek:

First car was a '67 Mustang. 200cid six and a 3 speed tranny... no synchro in first. Bought it in the spring of '70, so at the time it was the newest car ever owned in my family. Here's the rub though....
It had been wrecked and repaired. After that it was bought back to the shop because it wouldn't drive straight. Turned out the body/frame was bent and the insurance company totaled it and sent it on to a junkyard... where I found it while looking for motorcycle parts. The engine, tranny, rear end had been removed and sold off. Other than that it looked new... it had just had a repaint, after all.
The car and a flatbed to deliver it to my back yard cost me 50 bucks. Here's where it gets interesting... I'd learned from the garage where I worked that the Mustang was actually just a Falcon with different body parts. A few weeks later I bought a wrecked early 60's Falcon, drove it home and parked it next to the Mustang. That cost me 100 bucks. Spent the summer after work swapping bits over. The twist in the body/frame wasn't noticeable by eye. Me, my Dad and a neighbor tore the front end apart and re-shimmed everything so that it sat level on it's wheels. It drove perfect after that. Fall came and I had one of the nicest cars in the school parking lot. Also one of the cheapest. :sneaky:
I sold it on 2 yrs later when I joined the Air force and left to see the world. Unfortunately I don't have any pics of it.

My second car was a '67 Pontiac LeMans. OHC six, 4 speed that had been tricked out a little. Was a fun car. I have one pic of it...

Me, sam and 67 Pontiac.jpg

Last edited:
First car was a '67 Mustang.

My first car was also a ‘67 Mustang with a 289 and automatic trans. It’s funny I didn’t really appreciate it at the time. When I was in high school ( ‘70-‘74 ) , every other kid had a 60’s era muscle car, they were cheap and plentiful then. And my little Mustang didn’t seem all that sporty compared to my friends Z28 or GTO or Road Runner, I mean it was crazy looking back and thinking about the cars we had as teenagers. I sold my Mustang to a friend and used the money to buy an old step side truck and a dirt bike to go in the back! You have to have your priorities straight! 😉

First car was a '67 Mustang. 200cid six and a 3 speed tranny... no synchro in first. Bought it in the spring of '70, so at the time it was the newest car ever owned in my family. Here's the rub though....
It had been wrecked and repaired. After that it was bought back to the shop because it wouldn't drive straight. Turned out the body/frame was bent and the insurance company totaled it and sent it on to a junkyard... where I found it while looking for motorcycle parts. The engine, tranny, rear end had been removed and sold off. Other than that it looked new... it had just had a repaint, after all.
The car and a flatbed to deliver it to my back yard cost me 50 bucks. Here's where it gets interesting... I'd learned from the garage where I worked that the Mustang was actually just a Falcon with different body parts. A few weeks later I bought a wrecked early 60's Falcon, drove it home and parked it next to the Mustang. That cost me 100 bucks. Spent the summer after work swapping bits over. The twist in the body/frame wasn't noticeable by eye. Me, my Dad and a neighbor tore the front end apart and re-shimmed everything so that it sat level on it's wheels. It drove perfect after that. Fall came and I had one of the nicest cars in the school parking lot. Also one of the cheapest. :sneaky:
I sold it on 2 yrs later when I joined the Air force and left to see the world. Unfortunately I don't have any pics of it.

My second car was a '67 Pontiac LeMans. OHC six, 4 speed that had been tricked out a little. Was a fun car. I have one pic of it...

View attachment 255915
The memories are priceless. I get looking for a certain old picture from time to time and get lost looking at the vehicles in the background. I’m picturing your Mustang all jacked up in the back with the long shackles.😁👍

My first car was also a ‘67 Mustang with a 289 and automatic trans. It’s funny I didn’t really appreciate it at the time. When I was in high school ( ‘70-‘74 ) , every other kid had a 60’s era muscle car, they were cheap and plentiful then. And my little Mustang didn’t seem all that sporty compared to my friends Z28 or GTO or Road Runner, I mean it was crazy looking back and thinking about the cars we had as teenagers. I sold my Mustang to a friend and used the money to buy an old step side truck and a dirt bike to go in the back! You have to have your priorities straight! 😉
I’d a been a sophomore when you a senior I believe.The cars in the parking lot at h/s.What a smorgasbord of daydreams.😁👍

Well I might win this one, my first car on the road and registered in my name was a 1950 Buick Special:
1950 Buick Special.jpg

Not the best picture but you get the idea. Straight 8 with 2 speed Dynaflow transmission. Forget the year I got it must of been around 1968-9. As I recall paid the proverbial "Little Old Lady" $25. Never heard it even crank over and while dad was towing it home I decided to shift it into gear about one mile from home. To my surprise it started right up! I had mowed the lawn at the lady's house for two or three years before I bought it and never saw it move.

Just realized this spring I bought a 2006 Black Ford Ranger truck that would be about the same age as this Buick was when I got it!

Well I might win this one, my first car on the road and registered in my name was a 1950 Buick Special:
View attachment 255948
Not the best picture but you get the idea. Straight 8 with 2 speed Dynaflow transmission. Forget the year I got it must of been around 1968-9. As I recall paid the proverbial "Little Old Lady" $25. Never heard it even crank over and while dad was towing it home I decided to shift it into gear about one mile from home. To my surprise it started right up! I had mowed the lawn at the lady's house for two or three years before I bought it and never saw it move.

Just realized this spring I bought a 2006 Black Ford Ranger truck that would be about the same age as this Buick was when I got it!
Dad spoke of his 50 Buick often.A friend of his nickname was Dynaflo.25 years ago I bought a black 4 door 51special with as I recall a 6cyl.Drove a couple years $800.00.Always loved the hood latch releasing system 😁👍Yours looks to be in good condition.Probably you could fit 8 to 10 people in it.😂

View attachment 255915
Had a white version... great car... 4 bbl carb, 4 speed... it would smoke a stock 350.... but they'd catch me on the other end.... My brother bet me it wouldn't catch rubber in all 4 gears... did it twice.. third time... I grenade'd the tranny. Back in the day.... replacement 4 speeds at the boneyard was $50.oo... :)

17 years old...... 1959 Studebaker Lark, 2 door hard top... flat 6 with 3 on the tree. Bright stunning red ! ! ... I worked at an auto glass upholstery shop... so I had a trick interior... old school tuck and roll in white... so of course.... I installed a " tuck and roll " vinyl roof in white.. the boys from south of the border loved it.... it ran but smoked.. my Dad parked it under the tree in the yard...pop'd the head.. and the pan.. 3 bad pistons...ring lands... off to the junk yard... No Studie 6's... while walking out of the yard... a huge pile of engine blocks.. engine bits... on the ground 6 pistons wired together..... My Dad picked them up... placed my piston head to head.. side to side....and said... " they'll work.." $5.00 each.... $15.oo... . It wasn't until years later I understood that moment... until then... I thought one set of pistons fit all cars ! ! ..... My Dad passed.. 54 years ago.... miss him every day....

My first car was shared with my older sister. A '64 VW Type 3 Notchback. A model not imported to the US. I ended up overhauling that pancake boxer engine. Had a shop do the shortblock and the flywheel. I assembled it from there. My next car was a '59 bug with the original 1200 cc 36 hp engine. That was my next engine. Same thing, with the shop built shortblock w/ flywheel and I took it from there. It had a AM radio. 6 volt system. Always started. I had the bug in the mid 70's. I put a lot of miles on it. My Mom sold from under me when I got to Nellis AFB (Las Vegas)NV in '76. She said it never would have made it there. Didn't consult me first.

Last edited:
My first road-going car was a 1966 Beetle... was working at a local gas-station when the scrap-man drove in to fill up his flatbed, which was hauling the Beetle with its blown engine off to its final resting place. Paid $25 for it, delivered to my parents driveway. Was already into buggies, so had an engine around, as I recall. Was running before long and served me well before being replaced by a '59 Beetle.

17 years old...... 1959 Studebaker Lark, 2 door hard top... flat 6 with 3 on the tree. Bright stunning red ! ! ... I worked at an auto glass upholstery shop... so I had a trick interior... old school tuck and roll in white... so of course.... I installed a " tuck and roll " vinyl roof in white.. the boys from south of the border loved it.... it ran but smoked.. my Dad parked it under the tree in the yard...pop'd the head.. and the pan.. 3 bad pistons...ring lands... off to the junk yard... No Studie 6's... while walking out of the yard... a huge pile of engine blocks.. engine bits... on the ground 6 pistons wired together..... My Dad picked them up... placed my piston head to head.. side to side....and said... " they'll work.." $5.00 each.... $15.oo... . It wasn't until years later I understood that moment... until then... I thought one set of pistons fit all cars ! ! ..... My Dad passed.. 54 years ago.... miss him every day....
I can relate to the Dad moment. For my 15th birthday, rather than a customary gift (new baseball glove, a bicycle, BB gun, whatever...), my Dad took me the the junkyard and bought me an engine. A very complete 1200cc Beetle engine. Best $25 gift I ever got!

Last edited:
age 15, bought a ford 100E prefect for $500.00. all the money i had and before i got my licence.

55 ford 100e prefect
1175cc 4 cylinder side-valve motor
3 speed on the floor
35 bhp
0-60 mph in 32.5 sec
71mph top speed
Vacuum operated win-shield wipers that stopped when the car went up a hill.

Jealous yet.

Not mine photo off the net
ebay730158.jpg

My first car was a 64 XM Falcon panel van, with 144 pursuit engine. A total misnomer, couldn't pursue anything with that gutless thing. In the hope of bettering performance I bought 170 'Super' Pursuit short motor and replaced the bottom end. Top end end was the same as a 144, that should have given me some idea you'd think, nup. Couldn't pursue a bicycle with that thing.

I learnt a lot with this car. Replaced the block (short motor), fixed the gearbox, dif, starter motor, generator and a multitude of other things. Made a 12" steering wheel for it, bought a second hand straight line shifter and installed that. Unfortunately, it was badly worn and I managed to jam it in first and reverse going up a hill. Applied the handbrake, got underneath with a hammer and bashed the linkages, it popped out of gear but the handbrake didn't hold, so the car rolled backward down the hill, the front wheel traversing my body, over my shoulder down my body and over my crossed legs, all I got was a chipped bone in my heel. I jumped up and chased it down the hill, the steering wheel spun and it turned to the right jumping the kerb and demolishing someone's letterbox.

I copped heaps from my mates over that who introduced me to their friends as the guy who ran over himself. I went on to two yellow stickers for excessive noise, and was pinched half a dozen times for speeding, losing my licence for three months. Coming off the horseshoe bridge in Perth one night in the pouring rain, I put my foot down, car spun out and around a couple of times almost bashing the traffic light.

Heaps more work on it: black bucket seats from a colt 1100, replaced the shifter with an H pattern shifter, cut a hole in the transmission tunnel and installed it between the bucket seats, very sporty. Fitted extractors and a dual exhaust system. The left pipe was a right hand pipe cut at the bends, the bends reversed and welded back together. Fitted a tacho and every gauge available at the time. I had the manifold shaved off, fitted a twin carb manifold and fitted twin carbs, still couldn't beat a bicycle away from the lights. Fitted out the back with a mattress, a stereo and coloured lights,, but the girls stayed away in their droves, called me a hood.

I did a lot of miles in that car, aside from scaring the crap out of everyone in Perth and its suburbs, I drove out to Kalgoorlie, through, Kambalda, Norseman, Scadden, Grass Patch, Salmon gums, Esperance, Albany, Bunburry, Busselton, and all points in between, deafening everyone and scaring the crap out of everyone with my superior driving skills.

Eventually I wrapped it around a tree going home from the pub. The crash repair guy, cut through the windscreen pillar and across the floor under the seat and welded a new rear end on. After that it made all sorts of horrid noises when I jacked it up. Going home from work one day, I turned into the driveway got out and around to the other side of the car, the wheel was sticking out passed the car about a foot, the axle bearing had self destructed, more diff work for me.

Eventually I sold it for more than I paid for it, $400, and went back to a bike. A 71 Triumph 650, and started trying kill myself again. But, I failed - still here, just a little bit broken!

My youth was a wild ride, I'd hate to repeat it though.

Not my car, but same model.

Attachments

• 1964_Ford_Falcon_XM_Panel_Van (1).jpg
    1964_Ford_Falcon_XM_Panel_Van (1).jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I had one of these in Arctic White and Charcoal Gray. Thinking I had 4 of them from the '56 and '57 years, and that Station wagon. Had a '62 Commander too. Never paid more than $75 bucks for any of them. Wish I had any one of them now.
FD8645A6-47C8-4418-AAF3-EF644B3F3661-4167-00000CE3E1B72799.jpeg
pi
Picture for reference, I was purposely camera evasive back in those daze.
IMG_0441.JPG

Back