My oil filters.

lovebill1951

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
bikepics-2115917-800.jpg

bikepics-2115918-200.jpg

bikepics-2115919-800.jpg

Looks like someone never changed the filter. I had one look like that. Think the po didn't know they were there. Still runs good tho.

That first shot looks just like a puckered a.............

side screen look like it has some front chain guide in it.
Is the back side of the sump filter torn? (dumb question)

I most likely should have put a comment on. I guess at least the last two PO's couldn't get it running. I ripped off everything and bead blasted and cleaned. Now I'm starting to look at the engine. Lots of metal in those filters. Very picturesque.
Thanks for the comments.

Just pulled mine to decide if I needed to pull the motor apart. Seemed to run fine, but I guess I'm pulling it apart to replace the chain guides! It's an 81' with 34,000 miles on it and the sump screen was completely blown out, no surprise! I wonder if the filter was ever replaced. I also found a little spring looking thing in the sump. Looks like one of the springs that goes around the back of a shaft seal to maintain tension on it. Also found a small washer in the sump. Not sure where that came from. Every bolt on this bike is rounded off, so I think there has been some motor work at some point, hopefully it just got dropped in there.
Greg

Attachments

• CIMG1748.jpg
    CIMG1748.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 106
  • CIMG1749.jpg
    CIMG1749.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 100
Greg that looks pretty bad, good choice to do the guides I think Actually the first poster's pics don't look that bad, I would run that engine.

lovebill1951- if you hadn't got it apart already and the engine was still in the bike I would have changed the filters and oil and run it. Checked it next time.

I already have the top end pulled apart. The guides don't look as bad as I thought they would. There is two grooves worn on the rear one, but the front one is pretty smooth and don't see any missing chuncks. There were definately a bunch of pieces of black plastic in the filter. Maybe the PO replaced them at some point and didn't change the filter? Anyway I'm going to put new ones in and do the valves and probably go the next size on the bore, so I know everything is in good shape while I'm in there.
Greg

Attachments

• CIMG1756.jpg
    CIMG1756.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 121
  • CIMG1757.jpg
    CIMG1757.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 105
Back