1977 Yamaha XS650 maintenance of 2 oil filters

If the bike is new to you, I'd advise cleaning both filters for at least the first several oil changes. Chances are the oil wasn't changed much or the filters cleaned regularly in the bike's past. There may be a pretty good build up of sludge and gunk in there. On my 1st one, it took about a half dozen oil changes and filter cleanings before the filters started coming out relatively clean. Also, if you acquire some extra filters, it's quick and easy to swap a clean one in at the oil change, then clean the old ones at your leisure so they're ready for the next oil change. If you watch eBay, you can pick up a spare sump plate, usually with an old filter still attached for $20 or less. The filter will probably be torn but most of us patch them up with JB Weld ......

Sump Filters.jpg

If the bike is new to you, I'd advise cleaning both filters for at least the first several oil changes. Chances are the oil wasn't changed much or the filters cleaned regularly in the bike's past. There may be a pretty good build up of sludge and gunk in there. On my 1st one, it took about a half dozen oil changes and filter cleanings before the filters started coming out relatively clean. Also, if you acquire some extra filters, it's quick and easy to swap a clean one in at the oil change, then clean the old ones at your leisure so they're ready for the next oil change. If you watch eBay, you can pick up a spare sump plate, usually with an old filter still attached for $20 or less. The filter will probably be torn but most of us patch them up with JB Weld ......

View attachment 260788
thank you so much for your advice!

Hi. Where are the filters located? I looked all over my bike and best I can figure is they are on the underside, near the drain plugs. Am I right?

Back