My tax return toy

Ackaroth

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So a few months back I caught a new case of bike fever. It has been a few years since it has ailed me, but when my tax refund came in, I decided to break down and get one. Craigslist provided me with this little guy.

1982 XS650

And here is just some pics of the wiring nightmare

Since taking these, I have dropped it off at a little shop in Houston to get a new ignition installed, wire management done, as well as getting a seat built, some fender modification, battery bay built up under seat, and my head and taillights swapped out.

Future mods that I want to do include adding front brakes, and from there I'm not real sure. This will make my first running bike, I had a frankenstein sportster project back in highschool that I ended up selling.

Sidenote: Bike shop is installed a bates style headlight, but I kind of like my huge black one, so I told him to keep it and I might put it back one day.

Comments, Concerns, Opinions welcome. :)

Thanks guys, and yes Travis, for now the rust and grime will stay, I am kind of leaning towards a bobber/rat/brat end product.

And it HAS run, meaning I got it to run the day I bought it, after that my battery was dead and kick starting it was a pain so thats what led me to putting it in the shop/having the ignition installed. Based on how it ran then though, it should be fine.

Not to be a downer, but soon as those cruddy welds crack, that thing is going to fold up like a taco... and your the filling. You are missing some majorly important structural supports...

Taco.jpg

If you should get it to run, for God's sakes DO NOT RIDE IT. That frame is NOT SAFE. If the engine and other bits are good then buy another frame and go from there!!!!

Guy at the shop has done a little frame modification for me, I'm going to pick it up today, but I'll make sure and see how it ended up and if that is still an issue for me. Thanks for your concern guys.

Son, I don't want to rain on your parade but I don't see much hope for your machine as it sits. It can be done but....
it's like the answer to the old travel question "You can't get there from here, you have to go some where else and start". For starters you need another frame, a new wiring harness, maybe new carbs. Based on what I see in these pictures I can't stress this enough: IF YOU ATTEMPT TO RIDE THIS YOU WILL DIE!

Guy at the shop has done a little frame modification for me, I'm going to pick it up today, but I'll make sure and see how it ended up and if that is still an issue for me. Thanks for your concern guys.

If this shop owner suggests that this thing is road worthy, i would never go back there again. That frame would be a great donor for a hard tail however. Looks to me about the same amount of work either way.

I'd ride it. I'd brace the rear shock mount with really low seat rails, then slap the seat on and add a front brake and you're in business (if it runs).

Then it would break down on the side of the road from the wiring mess and it would sit in my garage for like 4 years. haha..

I must assume your independently wealthy. Taking your bike to a shop for the things it's gonna need will cost a truckload of cash. Better learn to do things your self.
Leo

Back