NASCAR, That's Adorable

grepper

fiddle futzer
Reaction score
A buddy of mine at work emailed this to me.
full

That was precisely my reaction when I saw the postponement on the news. Priceless.

Ever watched LeMans? Gulf Porsche et al were equipped with windscreen wipers for a reason.

TC

Well, not to be a wet blanket but.............neither the cars at LeMans nor Motorcycles in whatever class you choose are running at a conistent 195 or so mph in a pack of 43 vehicles running so close together each driver can smell the other's body odor. Just sayin'.

Well, not to be a wet blanket but.............neither the cars at LeMans nor Motorcycles in whatever class you choose are running at a conistent 195 or so mph in a pack of 43 vehicles running so close together each driver can smell the other's body odor. Just sayin'.

You know, there are almost certainly cultural influences that are being brought to bear here, in terms of where the event in question has been steeped. While I'd agree with Pregrid in some respects, in LeMans (24-hour) endurance racing, the drivers also have to contend with darkness in addition to the fickle elements, as well as road courses that can never be optimally controlled (in terms of course quality/suitability) or marshaled, and that were never intended to accommodate such traffic. European motorsports, for some reason, have always seemed to pit man and machine in/against a competitive arena that seems almost impossible. I find the decidedly different cultural approaches to American and European motorsports fascinating.

I admit that my reasoning is biased, though, because I come from a background as a criterium rider in which protection is minimal (non-existent save the headgear), courses are fast and technical, fields are crowded, and the possibility of serious injury is high. I have witnessed many of the latter, but in the five seasons I raced, I never saw rain kill a road event. So my brain has learned to process rain as another variable to be factored in, but not a show stopper. I mention this because bicycle racing has primarily European genealogy, and the European and American approaches to climatic factors at race venues, as well as the psychology of the sport, still bear close similarity to this day.

TC

Last edited:
I think NASCAR is a bunch of, I'll keep it clean here. And just say if they were better racers they would still have more road courses. Go fast, turn left. About as exciting a watching grass grow.
Leo

I think NASCAR is a bunch of, I'll keep it clean here. And just say if they were better racers they would still have more road courses. Go fast, turn left. About as exciting a watching grass grow.
Leo

I LIKE watching grass grow. Beats the shit out of goin' to work every day!

NASCAR...love it or hate it, that's part of the deal. But your not gonna get 150,000 people who came mainly to party, to sit in a grandstand in the pouring rain. Like so
much in today's world it's about the money. The guys will drive if the people will pay

You won't see Indy cars running in the rain either. Same deal.

I like all types of racing. If it's got an engine, I'll watch it. As for rain, I understand completely about NASCAR's stand on it. I don't understand baseball though. They shut down a game for rain? Seriously? They're just standing there.
Of course, I bet riders/drivers in other races would change their rain policy if you put walls around the track. Imagine MotoGP with walls right against the track surface on the outside of every turn. No mo cushion. There's a reason Isle Of Man is only for some seriously crazy riders.

big money drives nascar, and im willing to bet they waited all day to postpone, letting all the parties play late, all the swag, all the hype, and all the "Oooooo, look what nascar did, ooooooo", just to let it happen all over again the next day. What a scam.
Heard they went to FI? Ive know another american manufactuing company that finally, after all the other MC manu's went to Fi, followed suit.
Harley...ahem..Imean that MC co. Finally allowed other oils to not void manufacturing warrenties.

NA$CAR needs to step up to the rain plate. They drag 150,000 fans to Daytona and then cancel the race due to rain. Gimme a break. That kind of stuff is why I don't follow it.

It rains all over the planet every day. F1 runs in the rain.
toyota_f1_rain-1600x1200.jpg

MX in the rain? Many times, along with enduros and hare scrambles. I once rode an enduro in Georgia during a weak Cat 1 hurricane. It was actually better than normal because the red clay wouldn't stick to the tires like it normally did, we could actually ride faster.

sre_45.jpg

Seriously crazy racers? How about WRC? Those guys run in places that scare the shit out of mountain goats and they do it in the rain.
wrc-2006-nz-xp-0090.jpg

We are running the 24 Hours of LeMons at CMP this weekend; we expect rain. So we have wipers, Rain Xed the snot out of the windshield inside and out and got the defroster operational. Maybe we aren't going 195 and smelling Tony Stewart's BO, but we are out there trying.

The last event I was at that canceled due to rain was a hillclimb in North Carolina and that's only because the insurance bylaws for the site (not ours) forbade it, this was on a large private resort. We ran two run groups in the dry, then one in the wet, then it was suspended due to rain. Dammit. But I still won my class. :D

Last edited:
I will never understand the NASCAR hate. If it aint your thing don't watch, but why the angst. I don't care for drag racing. I don't hate on it either. Maybe it is a popularity thing with NASCAR.

And no I am not much of a fan.

Most of us don't go out for a bike ride in the rain. Nascar is a fan sport and sitting in the rain for 5 or 6 hours to watch a race wouldn't be that mutch fun my opinion. They don't play baseball in the rain. Some race in the rain the tracks make a buck not many people in the stands so what is wrong with Nascar.

Just don't watch FFS. :rolleyes:They have never raced in the rain, just like IRL. It wouldn't be good racing, nor would it be safe at speeds OVER 200 mph. Its the first time in the history of the race the Daytona 500 has been postponed, but I don't guess that matters if one needs to see some uninformed conspiracy.

FWIW, the (few) NASCAR road courses run rain or shine.

All racing is not the same.:doh:

John

Agreed, all racing is not the same. But if F1 engineers can figure out how to put ~1,000 HP to the ground in the rain in a 1400 pound car and do it without wipers or weather protection of any sort for the driver, then certainly NA$CAR's bright guys (and there are plenty) can figure out how to make a ~750 HP 3400 pound car with a windshield do the same on the ovals.

Rain usually does force a slowdown in pretty much any type of pavement racing, that's pretty much a given. (I'll let you in on a secret: damp pavement grips about the same as dry. So if you don't see reflections from standing water, stand on the gas! :D) But it's not a really good reason for canceling a race.

Back