Need Help ASAP!

Kansas650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi, i'm a new member to the forums. I'm glad I found a reliable site that I can go to with questions and for help. I purchased a 1973 TX650 Cafe here locally and ran into a problem today. Rode it 5 blocks, turned it off for no more than 10 minutes and lost all electrical. Talked to a cafe buddy here and he thinks it could be my main fuse. I have no experience with these bikes and cannot locate the fuse. A picture or some other great illustration would be very helpful. From what I've read so far here, it seems like I need to switch the fuse out to a blade. Any help is greatly appreciated. I look forward to the future on the forums.

Thanks, Derik.

Derik -

If it's a '73 with the fuse in the stock location, it should be a single 20-amp in-line fuse somewhere to around the battery box on the left side of the bike, though it's possible it could have been relocated. Does your bike still have the sidecovers? Look behind the left one. If it isn't a blade-type, change to one.

That said, you need to discover why it blew. A dead short somewhere is a possibility, but it's hard to say without knowing more about your bike in its current trim. There is lots of electrical expertise on here, of which I am admittedly not a part. :er:

I also own one of the few stock/near-stock '73s here. Welcome to the board.

TC

Attachments

• 100_1047.jpg
    100_1047.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 99
TeeCat- NEAR STOCK??? You are real funny guy, but sounds like you gave good advice.

Gary, it really is, though. When you think about it, someone with a little knowledge/familiarity with the early bikes, the parts, and the inclination could quite easily put the bike back to factory spec quite quickly. In truth, I think the only thing on the bike that has ever seen a cutting implement of any kind is the left side cover. And I have never been into the motor. I have just done a lot of repair or replacement of dodgy or defunct parts, made some improvements (PAMCO, solid state reg/rec, volt gauge, and a few mods like the single carb project, etc.). So I see it as a mildly modified cafe-roadster. It does have some fun bits, though.

TC

Back