Need Help in Calgary

BlueNorth

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing the throttle plate seals on my BS38 carbs. I thought I had the required JIS bits in my collection but it turns out I do not.

Trying to find a JIS screwdriver or JIS bits in Calgary has drawn a blank. Most people (including Japanese motorcycle shops) don't even know what a JIS screw is, much less where to buy the screw drivers.

FortNine in Quebec sells the Motion Pro bits but their promised delivery date is 2-3 weeks, which makes no sense at all. What's really crazy is the bits are $4.99 but the shipping is $12.00-$15.00 for Canada Post. By the time I get the bits, the riding season will be nearing an end.

Is there anyone in the Calgary area that has the JIS screwdrivers that I can pay to help me with this?

Wayne

Last edited:
I'm replacing the throttle plate seals on my BS38 carbs. I thought I had the required JIS bits in my collection but it turns out I do not.

Trying to find a JIS screwdriver or JIS bits in Calgary has drawn a blank. Most people (including Japanese motorcycle shops) don't even know what a JIS screw is, much less where to buy the screw drivers.

FortNine in Quebec sells the Motion Pro bits but their promised delivery date is 2-3 weeks, which makes no sense at all. What's really crazy is the bits are $4.99 but the shipping is $12.00-$15.00 for Canada Post. By the time I get the bits, the riding season will be nearing an end.

Is there anyone in the Calgary area that has the JIS screwdrivers that I can pay to help me with this?

Wayne

Here's the FortNine URL in case anyone is interested:

https://fortnine.ca/en/motion-pro-jis-crosshead-1-4-hex-drive-bit-size-no-2-2-pack-08-0577

Wayne

Last edited:
I just touch a Phillips to the grinder and take off about 1/64" to 1/32" and use the phillips that way it's not perfect but it alows the bit to set in there deeper so the outer portion grabs on better.... some guys just re grind the phillips to 57 degrees I think it is( not positive)
but when your in a tight spot that's what I do !
Bob.........

I had read about the 57 degree regrind technique. I used my metal lathe to change the angle of the bit and I removed material from the tip as well. The results weren't sufficient to avoid damaging a screw. As I already have one screw with damage, I'm going to wait for the correct driver.

From the research I've done, I've learned that the 4 blades that make up the tip of the JIS driver are not tapered in thickness like a phillips screw. They have a uniform thickness which means the contact surface between the driver and the screw head is more consistent and uniform.

I ordered all three sizes from FortNine. I should have them in a few weeks. You really can't beat the price. All three sizes (1,2,&3) delivered to my door - $27.89.

I don't have any JIS screw drivers. For the butterfly plate screws, I have used my smallest size phillips, after blunting the tip so that it fits down into the
JIS screw. The trick, is to use a hammer to strike the phillips handle a few firm taps, in order to seat the screw driver tip into the JIS.
Those small screws are staked on the back side, to prevent them from vibrating out, so it makes them more difficult to remove, but they will come out.
I use blue lock tite , when re-installing.

You are wise to buy the correct JIS screw drivers.

There is some slop in the butterflys fit to the throttle shaft. When reassembling leave the 2 small screws loose, while you let the springs firmly close the plates a few times. This is to force the butterflys to self centre themselves in the carb bore. Finally fully tighten the screws.
Failure to do this, could leave the butterflys in a position that binds against the carb bore, which prevents the butterflys from closing fully. If they can't close fully, you could end up with a hanging idle, and difficulty adjusting the mixture screw.

I think you may have identified the error of my ways as I was trying to do this with a #2 Phillips hex bit. It felt better than a #1 Phillips in the pocket of the screw. I expect that a modified #1 Phillips will work better.

Thanks again for the valued information.

Wayne

Sorry, I don't have the proper drivers either. maybe I can help with something else next time :) cheers, Good luck!

I've always used #2 phillips with the tip ground down a touch ( but just a touch) and they've worked for me for all my life... impact driver tips as well...... perhaps with the proper JIS screwdriver tip the heads wouldn't get tore up as much I would hope so ... but that's no garentee
as what you need is an allen headed screw and a ratchet with the allen bit in the socket .... but unless you want to change out every JIS screw on the bike..... for something better.... <GRIN>
Bob......

I ordered a set of these, they seem to be great.

Gofastinovations.com

Delivered fairly quickly, three sizes.

I ordered a set of these, they seem to be great.

Gofastinovations.com

Delivered fairly quickly, three sizes.

Yup - I bought two sets of GoFastInnovations drivers - excellent quality and fast delivery by Canada Post.

the problem with doing this job with a philips screwdriver is,......... whilst you do need to apply a good deal of force on the butt of the screwdriver handle whilst turning the screws out (or the blade will spin out and damage the screws), you don't want to apply so much force that you bend or damage the throttle shafts.

I think the key to this is making sure that you have really good support beneath the throttle shaft. I place a short section of a wooden broom handle in a vice and place the carb venturi over the top until the shaft is sitting on top of the cut handle. I also file a groove in the end of the handle to match the throttle shaft.
That way I can put the palm of my hand on the end of the screwdriver and lean my upper body weight on top of my hand using my shoulder on top of that and use the other hand to twist the driver . Works a treat and doesn't slip

Back