Need Help Installing Throttle Cable 1978 xs650

ndnhog

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I'm putting together a 78 xs650 that is currently in boxes and have a stupid question about installing a new throttle cable. So I know to run the cable up through the housing and attach it to the throttle.

My question is what to do with the two "washers" that are held in by a screw. I have enclosed a picture for your reference. Does anyone know how these fit to hold the throttle cable in?

Attachments

• Throttle Cable.JPG
    Throttle Cable.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 165
did you have both washers on before with the old cable?
it looks like you slide the washer thing on the cable first, then install the cable to the housing, then slide the washer thing up, so it 'traps' the cable housing against the housing.

The washer on the bottom goes over the lip on the cable elbow thing and holds it up in the grip with a screw in the little hole. That's how it works on an '81. The washer on the top I haven't seen. It might be for some other bike if it's a universal cable of some kind.

Mine only has one on it and it is held in by the screw that holds the housing together. The forked part goes onto the metal sleeve up against that flange securing it to the throttle housing. Does that make sense?

Back