Neutral Detent

Fleksta

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've finally put my bike all back together and found that I now have a problem with it slipping out of neutral.

I expected to see the detent spring pop up with the bolt removed, but no dice. Am I correct in assuming that it should have done so (i.e. the bolt puts pressure on the spring)? Or does the right side cover need to come off to get that spring and detent out?

Just wondering if I may actually be missing that spring. The PO must have had that bolt off in the past, as it also had no gasket on it.

On my 75 It had the spring but it didn't pop up out. I had to reach inand pull it out. The cap does push the spring down but the spring is not very long. I stretched it out some. This increased the pressure of the detent.
The detent is not a ball. It's a short tube that's rounded on the end where it contacts the shift drum.
Leo

Yes, You should see the top of the spring. Just a circle of steel. I used a bent piece of wire as a hook to lift out the spring. A magnet might work too.
Leo

I went to check again with a light and a bent paperclip. I can see the plunger moving up and down when I shift in and out of neutral, definitely no spring. Thanks for the quick help :thumbsup:

I probably have an extra spring somewhere.

shift drum parts.gif

shift drum parts.gif

head port work (mild).jpg

Back