Neutral switch / wiring

retroLS1

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So when I bought my '83, it was already stripped of a lot of common things that I am trying now to back-track and get back on there if possible. I wasn't originally going to be running anything to the neutral light, but I am planning on picking up a mini speedometer (currently has none) with a neutral indicator light, and frankly it's pretty handy.

I found where the neutral switch is... left side of the motor, next to the cam chain tensioner acorn nut. I have seen the covers sold for it by Mike's XS, but I don't know how a wire is actually connected to it as it looks like there is just a small screw on top? How many wires run to it, and what is the order of connecting them - power, indicator light, etc.?

I couldn't find much on a search here unfortunately. Thanks for the help.

Alex

The neutral switch gets one wire attached with the screw which will actually be a ground. If you're going to use one of Mike's mini speedos it has a positive and negative wire for each of the indicator lights. Connect the wire from the neutral switch to the negative wire and connect the positive side to a switched 12V source.

Excellent, thanks. If I were to just wire up a standalone LED for it I am assuming it would essentially be the same - ground wire from the LED goes to the switch, positive wire to switch 12v?

Back