New guy doing a XS650 project. HELP!!

suthpaw22

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I got my XS650 a couple weeks ago off craigslist. It isn't far from being an amazing bike! The problem is I am very new to working on bikes. I've had my motorcycle license and been riding them for about 9 years, but this is my first time actually doing something other than regular maintenance.

080.jpg

As you can see, it was already a project bike and in good shape. The guy I bought it from got it as something to tinker with while he was recovering from back surgery. He did a lot of good things to it, but never finished it and never put it on the road because he already has a nice bike.

As far as what I can see it needs and I want to do with it. First off it needs carbs. He took them off before he sold it because he had the ones on it professionally re-done. I talked to a few guys on here the other day when I first registered on this site who were very helpful. I found a set of carbs on eBay that were taken off a 78 XS650 like mine and am waiting on them to be shipped to me now. They are suppose to be in good useable condition.

Next, I know it needs right and left petcocks. I'm iffy on whether I need the vacuum or non vacuum type. I found a set at mikesxs.com that said this

"All 1978-84 North American market 650's have original petcocks operated by
Vacuum from a line to the intake (on carb holder). 1978-79 models have 2 and
1980-84 models have 1 petcock. Vacuum petcocks are chronic leakers and are
all getting to the point of being non-repairable. Our petcock is the Early type 650
manual petcock with a wider flange cast on it so it will fit in place of the vacuum
types. Our Petcock fits to right or left and each comes with the tap to tank
O-Ring seal and assorted outlet fittings ( petcock has 2 outlet ports).
Fittings included: 2 ninety degree, 1 Straight fitting & 1 outlet port Plug.
There is an "ON", "OFF" and "Reserve" position."

My next question is this. I have a round gas cap opening in my tank with holes all around it. The gas cap that came with my bike is the oval kinda shaped one with the raised rectangular section in the middle. Thats not going to work and I have been eying the one at mikesxs called "Gas Cap XS1/XS2 with Latch Lever" Will that bolt straight on my tank? Is there anything else I need to get for that?

Even used they go for that much or more, it might be better to find a used tank with the manual pet-chickens. It's almost cheaper. (I got my tank for just over 100$ I think, with shipping)

- post a picture of the tank and opening, it may be one of those flush mounted fillers

Need a clearer picture of the tank but it looks to be a Standard 74TXA or75XSB tank and they have a different gas cap than the Standard 76-79, XSC,D,E,F. The 74TXA and 75XSB do not have an indentation the shape of the Gas cap around the opening. the caps for B,C tanks have an oval shape with a raised back end where the key slots in

on mikes site he says
Part #20-0033, Gas Cap with keys - Fits: 1976-79 XS650 "Standard"
Note: Caps from "Standards" and "Specials" do not interchange.

Attachments

• 20-0033.jpg
    20-0033.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 79
It has to be customized like you said 650Skull. I have the cap you pictured, but my opening is about 1/4" rounder than my cap not to mention the holes that are even wider than that.

That tank look's like the neck itself is missing. I do not know where you could get a neck for it, but someone else here might. Guy's?

It looks like that might would be what goes there inxs.

I just measured it. The diameter of the opening is 2 1/2 and from outside to outside of the small holes its 3 1/4

Back