New license Old bike New passion New member

Howdy folks,
Glad to see there's what appears to be a bunch of people from all over the world who share the same money pit of a hobby I'm falling into. I'm here to soak up just about everything there can be known about my new passion in bike restoration. Specifically regarding my 1975 Yamaha XS650.
I'm currently in the process of swapping the stock CV carb for a Mikuni VM34 round slide carb. Replacing the EM stater, charging system, alternator, or whatever you want it to be called for a PMA charging system. Along with replacing the currently broken clutch cable with one found on Mike's.
This is my second bike as well as my second year riding. With that said I'm a complete novice and am looking for some guidance. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Max

Hi Max and welcome,
first, it's your bike and your decisions.
OTOH, stock carbs for round slides? Why bother?
Stock electrics are better than the aftermarket set-ups. Don't drink the PMA koolade.
Get your cable from Mike Morse' Vintage Brake site. MikesXS sells all manner of XS650 parts but some of it ain't the best quality.
And yeah, get a Haynes or a Clymer's manual.

Most of us prefer the factory shop manuals. But be aware that Yamaha didn't publish a full manual for every year, they usually cover several years. There will be the main manual for the 1st bike covered then supplemental chapters covering any changes to that later year. The one you'll want to look for will span '74-'77 models .....

full

If you're patient, you can usually find one on eBay for around $20, often less. Last one I got didn't cost me much more than $10.

Most of us prefer the factory shop manuals. But be aware that Yamaha didn't publish a full manual for every year, they usually cover several years. There will be the main manual for the 1st bike covered then supplemental chapters covering any changes to that later year. The one you'll want to look for will span '74-'77 models .....

full

If you're patient, you can usually find one on eBay for around $20, often less. Last one I got didn't cost me much more than $10.

Hi 5T,
yeah, better than Haynes or Clymer's. OTOH, not as easy to find.

Back