They got here around dinner so just a mock up - purty stuff

Attachments

• 12F84924-48DF-4F91-B6B5-FA7E907B65FD.jpeg
    12F84924-48DF-4F91-B6B5-FA7E907B65FD.jpeg
    734.3 KB · Views: 79
  • EB0665CE-1D9B-4DEB-A767-2C1EA4A9722C.jpeg
    EB0665CE-1D9B-4DEB-A767-2C1EA4A9722C.jpeg
    403.1 KB · Views: 85
Early here - oh i bet - i bet its gonna be a bit fussen - im going to re - research the info and videos id watched before ordering im probably just dumb but thought the carbs would be different sides specific- per some video id seen- ill know more by lunch 😃😃😃🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Messed around with the other tank and some nu finish yesterday then went with the skinny hs tank - fun bike - no seat lock that i could find behind right rear shock by latch - but latch works for its side easy - im not fonzi yet getting the latch to release the non latch side by pushing as release etc - amazing how everything cleans up slowly but little by little its not junk again

Attachments

• D24E7205-CDEF-4E98-BF4B-622E29CF0071.jpeg
    D24E7205-CDEF-4E98-BF4B-622E29CF0071.jpeg
    311.1 KB · Views: 75
If you look closely, you will find those carbs are right- and left-handed. They have their idle speed adjustment screws on opposite sides. That lets you mount them with the screw on the outside for ease of access to it. In your pic above, the carb with the air filter on it is the right one, the carb facing up is the left one.

I found mismatched jets, presumably from the factory in mine. The bike would run in choke only with the 12.5 pilots. 17.5 pilots and the biggest mains, 185s from the kit have it running decent on the center stand but I have not ridden it yet. Bad tires and no front brake yet. The Tech section carb threads are a good place to get an idea for a starting point for jetting. Added, my 81 bike has pods and pipes.

Last edited:
Starter is spinning but it wanted to fire
Im reading now about common starer xs issues … itll turn then skip and spin-i did the install in flip flops - so no kicky -it almost fired at least the batteries good - boy these things sound awful with a randomly skipping starter - letting it sit for a safety session 🌲
Try kicking it in shoes after a break - easy install thanks for the advice I didn’t take them apart to check jetting im trusting them to do what they said they do - so far so good - checking for spark if needed and kicking it a few to see after lunch 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸💪🏼

Attachments

• A3A779B2-DB8E-46F2-9E13-26B86F95CFBA.jpeg
    A3A779B2-DB8E-46F2-9E13-26B86F95CFBA.jpeg
    388.8 KB · Views: 73
  • D8F610C8-206F-4A30-8E72-30E427A63C42.jpeg
    D8F610C8-206F-4A30-8E72-30E427A63C42.jpeg
    410.8 KB · Views: 72
It runs - idle adjusting next and double checking cables - forgot how much these shake 😃 Thing was dancing along on its center stand lol
1.5 out and 4-1/2 turns on idles and and bit of fussing with the two from one cable and top sleeves set the same
It purr’s
Need an inline filter and some clamps and an oil change - might take it for a spin tomorrow in the lot see whats what before a full going through

Last edited:
The battery on these isn't very big so it doesn't have a lot of reserve. The ignition needs battery power to function for starting. Run the battery down a little bit with sustained cranking and there may still be enough juice to spin the starter, but none left over to power the ignition. The bike will crank over but not start. That's why kicking is good, it uses no battery power. In colder weather I always kick mine for the first start of the day. Once the oil has been warmed up and thinned out, the starter will crank and start it just fine.

The battery on these isn't very big so it doesn't have a lot of reserve. The ignition needs battery power to function for starting. Run the battery down a little bit with sustained cranking and there may still be enough juice to spin the starter, but none left over to power the ignition. The bike will crank over but not start. That's why kicking is good, it uses no battery power. In colder weather I always kick mine for the first start of the day. Once the oil has been warmed up and thinned out, the starter will crank and start it just fine.
First start from cold, it’s rare that I can go from the electric foot. Once warmed up, it’s fine.

..... when it's cold outside, like maybe in the 50s or below. The starter struggles turning over the motor with that thick (since it's so cold out) 20W50 in there. I cold start them all summer with the electric leg, no problem.

Ill try kicking today - I normally wear jeans and boots working on bikes but warm days and not planning to ride - truth be told its been 10 years since ive kicked a kz900 etc - im more or less used to it from my youth though - ripped pants - stripe on calf lol

Im gonna put the HS tank in prime position cap the vacuum spigot- and see if my carbs are all tight and level first then reset everything again - had fuel run out of the clear pink overflow at one point briefly then it stopped yesterday but i think its solved -i was using a remote hanger fuel bottle and left it in the on position too ling not running- anyone that is running a stock petcock with same aftermarket carbs that want to chime in on their experience on running fuel lines im all ears -still dark here - cleaning the left side of the bike today😃 and checking everything out for condos parking lot ride - rusted rims and 12 year old michelins or id go for a ocean cruise - fuck it I’ll probably go 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸💪💪😃😃😃

I’ve ridden the bike now and am happy pretty much- the dual carb balance of idle and setting mixture screws seems fine for shakedown runs and to blow gunk out - new oil - filter on the way - oil was clean and tires old but like new so maybe it had maintenance etc…
The previous owner had toggle switches installed and wires jumped at corroded connectors in spots - he said it had a hot wire he couldn’t find and the toggle is his solution- its now burning fuses so im onto electric work and tracing bars etc find the pinched wire likely- was running fine - idling etc but fidget the thing enough im sure its not right electrically- anyone have experience with this harness lining up with their stock 83’ https://www.ebay.com/itm/1731024248...tHKW1LuaNY7urpj5HoCfvP/9A=|tkp:Bk9SR77sxIXjYA
Thanks

Riding uphill - local park entrance- put putting- it all came back to me the familiarity of this thumping little go anywhere bike and it gauges - you really experience the sights and sounds well on these little bikes
No other bike feels the same - ive had/ have - have now - a ton of cool bikes
This is a cool bike

I’ve ridden the bike now and am happy pretty much- the dual carb balance of idle and setting mixture screws seems fine for shakedown runs and to blow gunk out - new oil - filter on the way - oil was clean and tires old but like new so maybe it had maintenance etc…
The previous owner had toggle switches installed and wires jumped at corroded connectors in spots - he said it had a hot wire he couldn’t find and the toggle is his solution- its now burning fuses so im onto electric work and tracing bars etc find the pinched wire likely- was running fine - idling etc but fidget the thing enough im sure its not right electrically- anyone have experience with this harness lining up with their stock 83’
Thanks
The factory Service Manuals had cable & loom routing diagrams. That harness should be a fairly good reproduction (AFAIK) and route the same. I can upload such a diagram for an '80 if needed; you'll have an extra lead for side-stand switch, etc.

Back