New throttle kinda tough/sticking

CaseySmithersxs

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Mounted up my new monstercraftsman vintage throttle and new motion pro cable. Lubed the cable up, slapped some grease im the throttle housing and on the handlebar where the throttle itself slides over. Throttle still wont come back on its own. Any advice?

I might wipe some white lithium on the bare metal, it should be okay being covered up by the throttle assembly. imo
You might go slow sanding them and do a little at a time to maybe keep some of the powder coat on there.

I didn't on my stock setup, but you might do some lookin' and see.
I would think that with you lubing the cable you would get a little in there anyways.
I just looked at your build, it's looking great man!

The fact that the bars were powdercoated would have been a valuable bit of info in the first post. I bought a set of bars from Mike's that were advertised as black chrome, they were in fact black powdercoat...big difference! The throttle would stick, the starter wouldn't work (lost ground), the clutch perch scratched the bar going on. All in all not worth the problems for me, went back to chrome.

I like silicone grease where a light weight lube that stays put is needed. NAPA sells a nice sized tube of Sil-glyde for cheap, it's great on anything rubber, carb boots, foot peg mounts, grommets.
Sil-GlydeE.jpg

For the brakes and other high temp areas the real deal $$ all silicone grease is the way to go.

I like the silicone grease for the housing too. Seems fine for temps down as low as I care to ride...
Probably lower than you'll find in Louisiana.
Cables are usually motor oil.

Back