New to this place, motorcycles and XS650s - I have a 75 B

MB-Ian

Melbourne, Australia
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just an intro.. the only bike I've ever wanted was an XS650 so finally bought one (I'm 39 now) and am learning to ride and enjoy the bike.

It's a 75 XS650B which I purchased locally which has had a lot of restoration done as well as re-phase engine etc. I'm from Melbourne, Australia btw.

ATM its frustrating the hell out of me due to evil handling and wobble/shimmy starting at about 50mph which precludes me from riding on freeways.

Here's some pics of the old girl:

39006_1336296892899_1395407226_30755290_3336890_n.jpg

39006_1336296852898_1395407226_30755289_7747938_n.jpg

39006_1336297012902_1395407226_30755292_3369145_n.jpg

39006_1336296932900_1395407226_30755291_6974039_n.jpg

Vid of it starting:

Any comments or digs, bring them on. If you want more details just ask....

... just don't tell me evil handling from 50mph is normally part of the package for the B.

I.

Check the steering stem bearings and if bad replace with tapered bearings. Also checkout your wheels make sure they are true. Check out your swing arm bearings. Last make sure your frame is not bent. I forgot first checkout your tire air pressure and the condition of your tires. Nice bike! Good luck TonyC

Welcome fellow Aussie, Nice looking bike. +1 on what has been said for the handling, the bike should not be any where that bad with the handling.

Here is a link to the 650 club of Australia, there are a few members down your way and they would welcome a new guy

Yah I would check your tires and make sure they are in good shape. Swingarm bearings and neck bearing would be next. (do a search and you will find tons of info)

It looks like you are running Mikuni VM34 roundslide carbs which are supposed to be a pretty great upgrade.

Thanks guys, looks like I'm going to be right at home here..

Going through the invoices the PO gave me with the bike, it sure has VM34s. In fact I've never ridden an XS650 with standard phasing and carbs so don't know how different it would be to my bike.. PO said chalk and cheese.

Its also has (according to the invoices):

750 big bore kit
XS Performance rocker arm set
XS Performance coils
Kevlar clutch friction plates
Ikon rear shocks
Pamco electronic ignition
34mm fork tubes
XS1 headers / 26" commando mufflers
NGK Iridium plugs
progressive fork springs
Oil filter conversion
new spokes and rebuilt brakes
Continental tyres
and about a million other little things replaced in the process (grommets, washers, cables, covers, ....).

This is where it gets interesting, I was told it had tapered steering bearings and bronze swing-arm bushes, and considering its had its frame-up rebuild started with 2-pack black paint, I'd have expected PO would have put he good bearings and bronze in. Nothing in the invoices which came with the bike though. The swing arm pivot has a 3rd grease nipple in the middle, that usually indicates the swing-arm has been "attended to"?

Anyway its out at a bike place now to try to sort out the wobbling, on this otherwise nice bike.

I.

Welcome Ian.I have a 75b also but yours is in alot better shape.Could you post a pic of the right side when you get time so I can drool some more.Are the tank and side covers the original paint?

Last edited:
I'm hoping thats all it will be. Even if I need new tyres (it has Contis with good tread depth but god knows how old they are) that will be a good reason to buy some tyres with retro RWL look that I sometimes see on old pictures of XS650s back in the day...

Also since it has new spokes, maybe the wheel just needs truing.

More pics to follow in a few days when i get the bike back.

I.

FWI, I had Conti Blitzs on one of my bikes. The front tire was not true from new. Replaced it and problem went away. It was so bad that I was afraid to ride the bike for fear of failure. As you rode you could see it wobble. Not good.

I'm hoping thats all it will be. Even if I need new tyres (it has Contis with good tread depth but god knows how old they are) that will be a good reason to buy some tyres with retro RWL look that I sometimes see on old pictures of XS650s back in the day...

Also since it has new spokes, maybe the wheel just needs truing.

More pics to follow in a few days when i get the bike back.

I.

if your unsure of the production check the date code on the tire. look for a 4 digit number next to the DOT code.. the first 2 numbers will indicate the week it was produced (1-52) and the last 2 will be the year. EX.. 0607 IS FEB. 2007..

I love this when I buy cars and i'm told the tires where just mounted... I look at the date code and there like 6 yrs old... LOL.... 5-7 YRS is about the life span of a tire as far as age.

Thanks guys, thats surprising what you found out about the Contis... I didn't think they could have QC issues, as they are fitted as standard equipment on many Mercedes-Benz models... MB being that of my namesake...

I really like a fork brace on the front end, I think it makes a difference. There are several types to be had, I have one of the Mike's XS braces.

No special braces or springs or oil should be necessary for a B model to ride great. If everything is right this bike is a real treat to ride. My B is my favorite 650, and I have a few. All stock and/or restored to original and they all ride like they are supposed to.

I agree with both of you, I had looked into fork braces but would want one that works without modifying the standard huge chrome fender (one of my favourite parts that gives the bike that dated/classy look). The fender itself looks like it should assist with bracing, it seems big enough.

Also one of the reasons I went with the B (the XS2 being my other favourite) was that by the time the B was released (according to the motorcycling press of the time) all of the bad handling of the previous models had been more or less sorted out resulting in a stable touring bike with no nasty bad habits if ridden in a normal (not sporting) manner.

I.

The 75 I have has had a few mods done. The swing arm bushings, head bearings. Later front forks, with Mintons mods done. I'm using Bridgestone Spitfire S11 tires. Steady as a rock to 85 mph. Thats plenty fast for the roads around here.

The bike place called me today and said they reckon the front tyre needs replacing, so I'll get that changed and see if that helps.

I think I need to finds someone else around here with a similar bike that I can have a ride of for comparison purposes.

Leo I like the sound of the mods done to your bike, mine has (I believe) the swing arm bushes and head bearings done. I know its got the early front forks and the only reason I'd be against installing the later units is that I like the look for the front mounted brake calliper - in keeping with early 70s bike trends.

Tell me something though - with the swing arm bushes done, is there absolutely no play whatsoever in the swing arm? I can feel just a slight amount of play, like maybe a shim has been left out or the wrong sized shim has been installed...

I.

Even a little bit of play in the swing arm shouldn't make it shimmy. the bike should rock before any swing-arm play

Back