New to this place, motorcycles and XS650s - I have a 75 B

If the swingarm bushings have been done there should be no side to side swingarm movement. I just finished mine and the thing feels rock solid.

With the pivot bolt torqued to spec, 36 to 58 ft-lbs, there should not be any play.
If you get play then shims might help, where to get them or how thick I don't know.
The 81 Special I picked up last week has a shimmy at about 35 mph. I checked the swing arm bushings, ok. I checked and adjusted the head bearings, ok. Still the shimmy.
I swapped the front wheel and tire from the 75, shimmy gone. Put the 81 front on the 75 no shimmy. Put the front wheel with a very checked tire on the 81, just a bit of shimmy.
I think it may be a combo of both the front and rear tires causing my shimmy. The front tire doesn't show any checking. The rear tire shows some in the side wall. The parts bike tire is checked very much in the tread. The parts bike tire was made in 2007, the tires that came on the bike are both 2005 tires. They all have like new tread.
This shows that even with good tread a tire can still be bad.

Last edited:
The bike is back now and running nicely at 60-65mph. Changed the front tyre and also had the play in the swingarm removed (changed the shims).

Here are another couple of pictures:

47504_1373115293336_1395407226_30838435_6980364_n.jpg

47504_1373115333337_1395407226_30838436_3137686_n.jpg

I.

Much better looking than mine. I have started to improve the looks. Got a set of fork lowers powder coated black. Gonna get the headlight ears and bucket, brakecalipers and brackets done next. Fender and rotors maybe after that. Eventually the front wheel.

Welcome my friend! She's as pretty of a stock girl as any I have seen. Great find. Wonderful sound. You look like a proud poppa climbing on there kicking her over. I have a question though. "L" on the back for learner?

Yeah i am a learner / late starter. For years in my state they had a restriction for L platers to ride up to 250cc, but a couple years back changed that to 660cc. Prior to that change my interest in bikes 250cc and under was decidedly y-a-w-n, but with the XS on the list I figured I'd take advantage of that next mid-life crisis, which was 2 months ago ;-)

I.

I'm sort of a late starter too. Rode just a teeny bit in my youth. Lucky I wasn't killed. Then nothing until 5 or 6 years ago I got the itch. I'm 49 and hadn't been on a bike since I was 20.
If you are limited to 660ccs and the bike has a 750 kit in it.... ;)

I had a 250 Ninja that I had plenty of fun on and it would do 105 mph.

Yay! Got me bike license today, passed the test in the pouring rain riding a CB250 supplied by the testers. Now I can get rid of the annoying L plate we need to wear on the bikes in my state. (You can just see it on the back of my B in the pic below.)

photo.jpg

But I'll tell you there's some things to be said for the CB250 - the clutch is light, the engine is very smooth for a 2cyl bike, slow speeds (below 10mph) and general manouverability is great... I don't know if it would have much in reserve when trying to cruise at 70mph like my big-bore-kitted XS does but for town work up to speeds of 50mph I reckon I could live with the CB...

Anyway onwards and upwards, bring on summer so I can get some regular use out of the old dame of the highway.

I.

Last edited:
In my opinion, around town a little CB250 is perfect. BUT I do like to get out on the highway and a CB250 just doesn't have enough power. Congrats on getting your MC license. Here we say "motorcycle endorsement" or Class M license.

Back