NEWB-- question where to start?

stubb1986

XS650 Member
Reaction score
im picking up 2 xs650s tomorrow one a parts bike and the other a complete hardtail. The hard tail was done within the last 10 years? guessing... not 100% sure what year it is. Waiting for the guy to find the title. I know it has points ignition if that helps.

The bike has been sitting for around 4 years and doesnt currently run. Owner says that it did run at some point.

My question is where should i start when tearing into it. drain oil,filter, fresh gas, plugs, hoses if needed is my guess.. anything else i should check/change before trying to start it.

I will post pics up when i get it home tomorrow..

thanks for any help..

Hey stubb1986,Welcome to the forum. If you don't have one yet get a manual or look in the tech section there's a few in pdf's there. I'm sure the more experienced members will be willing to help ya. Good luck.

Does it turn over? Make sure the battery is fully charged.
I hear some guys will pull the plugs (check plug condition too) then put a small amount of motor oil into the cylinders before trying to crank over an old engine.
You might want to pull the carbs and give them a good cleaning and you should probably check the timing chain and make needed adjustments. Check your timing points for proper gap too.. If you get it to run, get the engine warm then shut it off and check valve clearances and adjust as needed..
Don't forget to to check your compression before and after tune up.

No battery in it. it will kick over.. The guy im getting it from has around 200 1960s+ bikes in a huge garage. Guess he collectes them. The carbs are off of it now.. dont know why but ill take them apart and clean them real good.

Hey cool stubb1986! You will need a charged battery to even kick start it. What year is it?
'80 and newer were electronic with no points to set. Get some pics of your bike up when you get a chance.
Sorry you stated you didn't know what years they were.:doh:
If you pull the top left cover off you will know if you have points or not.:D

Nice to see a new guy just dive in. Cut your head off 1st, then you'll have nothing to think with or about.

Spend some time giving it a once over before you even try to start it. Id:

-get a service manual
-clean carbs / petcocks / fuel filter / air filters - download the carb guide
-replace oil and filter
-replace plugs
-compression and leak down test
-check points condition and ignition function
-consider cam chain adjustment (done warm) and valve clearances (done cold)
-possibly hook the bike up to a test ignition circuit (battery, coils, points or pamco only) - cant ride it like that but eliminates almost all electrical aspects
-squirt some oil in the plug holes before you try to fire it

Have you read this thread from the tech section on getting to know your bike? Some good advice in there.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367

20121214110812.jpg

This is my current ride. 2003 shadow 750 ace. Picked it up for 700 bucks. Didnt run when I got it. Cleaned carbs. Replaced plug wire and runs great now.lowered 2.5 inches in rear. T bars. And low profile seat. Ill get pics up of the xs when I get it home

Stubb1986,

When I first got my 1973 CB450 with points it would not start. No spark. I cleaned the points and set the gaps. Still no go. I removed the points and opened them up so I could get a piece of sandpaper in there to clean them. Put them back in and the engine started right away. Points will develop a resistive coating if not used over time that is very difficult to remove to get down to the bare precious metal unless you remove them to be able to really work at it.

Of course, the very next day I installed what was then the prototype ignition for the CB450 and the points ended up in the trash...:D

Back