No charge

We just went through this with another bike a few days back...and tons of threads for you to read up on it to help figure it out.

Start here: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10561

On your rotor with 7 ohms (Seems high) did you subtract the lead ohms? Touch the leads, and subtract that number from your slip ring to slip ring ohms.

Then touch one lead to a slip ring and the other to a known ground...should read infinity.

Did you check the brushes? Are they worn or within spec?

I've done away with old regulator for the new all in one dose this still apply?

Yep...rotor still works the same, brushes, etc. all the same. The only difference is you're using a combined regulator/rectifier vs. what came stock as separate units.

Also, is the new combined unit for a points bike (through '79) or TCI ignition bike ('80 and after)? It makes a difference with regard to it's wiring.

Hard to say...I am not even sure what your problem is? It's not impossible, but rather unlikely that your new reg/rec is bad...Do you have the correct reg/rectifier for your year bike?

Did you test your charging system thoroughly?

Don't throw money at it. That won't fix it.
Find the Charging System Guide and follow the test procedures to find out what's wrong. Then you will know what to buy.
It may be as simple as a dirty connection.
Leo

Ebay www.electrexworld.co.uk . After doing tests as suggested it showing new reg/rec not working how can I test reg/ rec ? And safety really ?

The link doesn't show a Combined Reg/Rect for an XS650. If you did get one for an XS650 did you get the right one for a points model

Your other links show ignition systems and Ignition systems with Charging systems??????????????

You say you have a 78SE..........Me thinks you have an old 78SE engine or it may have been a 78SE bike but things have changed and there hass probably been wiring and other major changes done to the bike that you are not saying.

Wasting peoples time without a comprehensive explanation on what has been done/changed

The bike xs65se was imported to Scotland fram Iowa USA in 1995 and I have owned it since then no mods on the bike when I got it until I chopped and hard tailed it last year going to open up all the wire loom in the next few days and check ALL wires to see if I can find any wiring problems will let you,s no thanks all for your time.

Dose the safety relay have any thing to do with the chargeing system and since my problem started my headlamp dose not come on when the bike is running anymore unless I switch it on?

It had a separate regulator and rectifier and points ignition from the factory That's why skull's say'n we need more info. A pic inside the round alternator cover would help answer a lot of questions. The headlight not lighting is often your first sign of charging trouble, it's kind of a design feature.

Back