No spark 72' with Pamco , e-advanced

Lance Weersma

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good evening gents!

Had the 72' running great and just recently it would occasionally bog down and sputter. I installed a Pamco with eadvancec. About 3 months ago. It was working well for roughly 300 miles and is now not producing spark. Today it finally died and would not turn over due to lack of spark.
I did a search and found the following test.
Testing the coil:

1. Using the lowest scale on the meter, measure the resistance between the primary terminals with the wires removed. Should read from 2.5 to 4.5 Ohms.
Mine was 2.2Ohms
2. Using the highest scale on the meter, measure between one of the primary terminals and the center core of the coil. Should be infinite resistance. (open)
Mine open
3. Measure between one of the primary terminals and one of the plug wire terminals. Should be infinite resistance. (open circuit)
Mine Open
4. Measure between one of the plug wire terminals and the core of the coil. Should be infinite resistance (open circuit)
Mine open
5. Measure from one plug terminal to the other. Should be 15,000 to 20,000 Ohms
Mine 16.2k

Testing the PAMCO

1. Use a voltmeter and check for battery voltage on each of the red/white wires with the key and kill switch are turned on.
18.6v
2. The dual output coil has to have both spark plug wires connected to a spark plug at all times.
3. To test for spark, connect one of the spark plug wires to a spark plug that is grounded to the engine.
To test for spark without having to turn the engine over, do this procedure:
1. Remove the PAMCO rotor.
2. Remove the locating pin in the advance rod.
3. Reinstall the rotor, but without the pin.
4. Replace the nut holding the rotor on loosely. This will allow you to spin the rotor to produce a spark without having to turn the engine over.
5. Connect one of the spark plug wires to a spark plug that is grounded to the engine, but not installed in the engine.
6. Make sure that the other spark plug wire is connected to a spark plug in the engine.
7. Turn on the ignition switch and the kill switch.
8. Spin the rotor while looking at the gap in the spark plug for a spark.
9. Turn off the kill switch and the ignition switch.
Mine- no spark produced

When I checked. Voltage out of the coil it was 13.6v for the green and red. Going into the e advance it hold true but coming out of the advancement unit the red is 13v and the green is 4.5v. Same is true at the Pamco rotor.

Any advice or recommendations?

Quote:
" Use a voltmeter and check for battery voltage on each of the red/white wires with the key and kill switch are turned on.
18.6v"
Maximum voltage should be 14.5 volts coming from a battery. Preferred voltage is 14.1 volts. 18.6 volts is extremely high and may have damaged the ignition system.
Are you saying your charging system is charging the battery up to 18.6 volts? What type charging system do you have?

I was popping a fuse occasionally. This is what I just tested just now. Charged battery with kill switch on. Stock charging system

Attachments

• IMG_1084.JPG
    IMG_1084.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 103
I assumed you were running the engine while measuring the battery voltage. I've never seen a battery by itself go up to 18 or 19 volts.
What type and brand of battery is it?

That would make sense. I believe I had the multimeter on the wrong setting. I set it at DCV /20 and it reported 11.8v today which would make much more sense:

It has been a week and still no response from our friends at pamco. In that time I have replaced the coil... no luck
Replaced the battery... no luck
Installed a TC bros PMA... no luck

I am considering ordering another pamco but this one is only 3-4 months old.

Any suggestions?

I found the source of my issue. About 1/3 of magnetic switch on the main plate has broken offf. Pete, can I order just this piece from ya. I would love to get this taken care of. Bike has been down for a couple of weeks and I would love to get back on it :)

Attachments

• B72B297D-42F3-4A53-BF22-1F4294095C6C.JPG
    B72B297D-42F3-4A53-BF22-1F4294095C6C.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 143
Lance,

That damage looks like you tried to drive the coils directly from the Hall effect sensor. PM your address and I will send you a new PC board, but you cannot drive the coil directly from the sensor. It will fry instantly. That is in the instructions. Please review the instructions when you get the new part.

Now that is customer care! Wired wrong and pete will still send a new part.
I bet if I burned my pamco on my 71 that ive had for 3 years, pete would still help me.

Back