No spark and starting to get frustrated. Please help!

Chriso383

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to get my chopped xs650 start for about a week now and I cannot manage to get a spark.:banghead: I am getting 12.2+ volts at the coil but when I kick it I get no spark.

xs650allyears.jpg

This is the diagram I am using for the wiring. W combined regulator/rectifier, no E start and a seven wire Igniter unit.

You need battery voltage a the red/white wire at the coil as well as the TCI box. Check that.

View attachment 6642
THANK YOU! :thumbsup:
Im am now using the above schematic and the bike starts right up ! i think i will just use the new diagram. Is it ok to only have the one fuse, or will i run in to trouble later?

One fuse is considered the bare minimum. If you have a short circuit and the fuse blows, it will not be easy to find the short. For example, if the fuse blows in the lights circuit, you would still be able to ride home to make repairs.

I would put a 10 amp fuse in the ignition supply wire and a 10 amp fuse in the lights supply wire.

Yes!! Put a fus to seperate your lights, brake lights, signals (if you have them) as retiredgentleman said. If you only have one, and it pops.........

I use two fuses all the time so you can check your work.
One fuse is for charging system red wire to battery
the other is for all the rest and i put a plug on the lighting system so i can unplug that too
If you need help you can always call me and i will walk you threw it.
Just email me at RGrant51@aol.com and i will give you a number to contact me.
I am OLD:yikes:BEEN doing this for over 30 years:laugh::laugh:

I like fuses, One for each subsystem.

When I rewired my 75 I used the stock bar switch. I replaced and moved the key switch.

Power flows from the battery thru a 20 amp fuse, to the switch, from the switch to a 6 fuse block. This block uses the blade type fuses, round glass fuses are crap.

One fuse feeds the kill switch. The kill switch turns on a relay for the ignition and sends power to the safety relay for the starter.

One feeds the ignition relay.

One fuse feeds the head/tail light.

One feeds the turn signals.

One feeds the brake switches.

One feeds horn.

If I think I need to add something like an accesories socket I can put the brake switches, horn and turns on one fuse.

This way if I blow a fuse I know just where to look for the problem.

Back