Oil Everywhere: cam chain bolt, starter motor, advance housing

VCPatel

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I finally got my bike on the streets (after about 2 years of on and off work).

Running like a champ, I must say. Was really enjoying the riding.

I knew before I took off that I had a stripped front cam-chain guide bolt. There has been oil leaking from this bolt.

Went for a bit of a longer test-ride. Look down--- oil everywhere on the crankcase. Get her home (she actually made it the whole way--- trooper) and inspect the smoky mess.

There's a lot of oil coming down from between the starter and crankcase (I assume I fugged the oil seal), from behind the right side advance mechanism cover, and from the front cam-chain guide bolt.

I checked the advance cover--- one of the three screws was a bit loose. Dunno if that was enough to cause a lot of oil leakage, but I tightened the three up. There are also two empty screw slots--- I assume that's normal? They're at the 11 and 4 o clock positions. I think they're supposed to be empty.

I guess I'll have to buy the starter motor block-off. Or figure out how to do this freeze plug thing.

Then comes the main issue: the cam-chain guide bolt.

To be honest, the next time I have to get into this motor, I'll probably just buy a new motor. I know the bottom end of this motor is on its last legs anyway, so I don't plan on getting into it again.

I'm very strongly considering cleaning up the cam-chain guide bolt and its fitting with some solvents, then JB-welding the stuff together. I don't care if it never comes out again. Can anyone imagine any issues with this?

There's a serious amount of oil coming out of that spot, and it's annoying me now.

I'm on my last few days I have to work on this bike before I start medical school (which means no tinkering time). Hoping to get things together.

Looking forward to hearing about this.

Went in and tightened up the screws behind the advance housing. That cleaned up most of the mess on that end.

Turns out I hadn't tightened up my starter motor as best as I should have. That took care of the oil drainage from down below. Bolts must have came loose when I was riding. This is the problem with coming back to a project over and over again--- you forget what you forgot to do!

As for the cam-chain guide bolt--- I think i'm going to JB-weld it tonight. To hell with it--- let's see how she holds up with that. Will update later.

You might run a stud in with JB weld then put a nut and brass washer with a smidge of sealer on it after a day or two

Back