Oil Leak

goodfella961

New to Yamaha XS650
Reaction score
After riding for a while I notice that there is a lot of oil under engine on the ground. I never see the bike leak unless it has recently been ridden or the engine is warm. Seems like a major leak because also when I am riding there is oil all over the right pipe. Any input

check your cam chain tensioner cover... that's the source of my worst leak... but there would likely be some puddling on the top of the lower cases...

It seems to be under the kickstart. I am very new to this bike and all motorcycles for that matter. There is a ton of liquid or oil underneath the bike after I take it out, but when I check the oil it does seem to be at the proper fill line.

What year is your bike? When you check the oil level how do you check it? If you overfill the oil it can be forced out of places that it shouldn't.
On the center stand, engine warm and let set for a few minutes after shut down. With the dip stick just setting on the threads, oil level about half way between the two marks. If you try to keep it at the upper mark it can blow off the extra through the breather.
Clean the right side cover, dust with talcum powder. Ride the bike a bit, stopping often and looking around to find the leak. When you find where it's coming from then we can tell you just how to fix.

I have a 75 650B. The oil level now is about half way between the two marks. So you want me to put talcum powder on the right side??

Around where you think the leak is. Sometimes clean oil on clean cases is hard to see the talcum powder helps the oil show up.
On the engine breather where does the hose go? Does it come down near where you see oil? Oil mist inside the engine can get blown out through the breather and trickle down thw hose, dripping out on what ever is near. This might be the oil you see. If you can hang a can of some sort on the bike and run the breather hose into it, and the oil stops getting on the pipe, then that is where it is coming from.

Thanks for all the advice. Turns out the gasket on the kickstart is broken and oil was leaking pretty heavy from there once I had been riding a while. Parts should be coming in this week.

Back