oil on dipstick but not in window help?

jonboy-xsbobber

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm new to motorcycles and just got my first xs650
There is oil on the dip stick but nothing in the window
Even when I tip the bike nothing comes into the window
Should I just go with the dipstick?

I would change the oil and clean the filters. Then add the right amount. Then you will know for shore you have the right amount in it.

Oil quantity:
2.0 lit (2.1 qt): periodic oil change
2.5 lit (2.6 qt): engine overhauling
Recommended oil:
Yamalube 4-cycle oil or SAE
20W/40 type "SE"motor oil
I use valvoline motorcycle oil

I use Mobil 1 V twin 20w 50. Any motorcycle oil designed for wet clutches. I used valvolene 20w 50 non synthetic oil for breaking in a new rebuilt motor. Don't use automive oil. I like the synthetic, regular motorcyle works just fine. It takes a little over 2 quarts. With the bike on the center stand I use the dipstick to top it off. 2500CC is what the book says.

Thanks... Any reason why every now and then when I go to kick it over there is no resistance and doesn't turn the engine over? I'm hoping this guy didn't fuck me and sell me a shit engine (planed on completely rebuilding it anyway but still)

I never use the kickstart. So back in the day when I did not a Yamaha. You had to crank the lever untill it would engage and turn the motor. Sound like it doesn't engage sometimes.

Without Feeling/Kicking/hearing it myself its hard to tell why its kicking like that. Sounds odd to me. possible the lever is slipping on the actual knob, but highly doubtful! Video it is the only way really.

Just double checking, but are you possibly pulling in the clutch when you are kick starting. The bike has to be in neutral and the clutch out because it kickstarts through the clutch.

Also if the clutch is out of adjustment this might also make a difference.

I'm new to motorcycles and just got my first xs650
There is oil on the dip stick but nothing in the window

My dipstick and window never agree with each other. I go by the dip stick. But if you're full on the dipstick you should see something in the window.

Do you have a center stand? If so put it up on the center stand. It may take a bit but you will see oil in the window. Unless the level is way low. And it will be if you check the oil on the side stand.
Leo

Due to discoloration of the window over the years, good clean oil is hard to detect.
Even when you are familiar with your bike.

The kickstart issue is probably a clutch adjustment issue. When i got my XS the kickstart would only engage half the time, i adjusted the clutch cable a bit and i never had a problem again.

No stand but I hold the bike so its strait up after its warm and Wait 5 minutes and nothing shows up but there is oil on the stick. And I will check the clutch out

I believe the dipstick should be unscrewed when checking the oil level. If it is screwed all the way in, oil will be showing even when the level is 10-15 mm low. To check the level correctly, pull out the dipstick, wipe it clean, then insert it until it stops on the threads. DO NOT SCREW IT IN. And, as mentioned before, make sure the bike is level, preferrably standing on the wheels. On my Ducati, I only have a window, and always check the oil level with both wheels on the ground, bike standing upright.

And your kickstart issue must be a slippng clutch. The reasons for it slipping can be many, just dig into it!

On my bikes if the dipstick reads where it should the window shows it right at the top lines by the window.
If your window is cloudy, Mike's sells replacements. Easy to change once you get the cover off.
Leo

Back