Oil on the spark plugs and The Engine won't start

Samuraiace

Workin from the shed
Reaction score
So The Latest thing is that my XS has decided to throw me a loop.
I figure someone should be able to help me
I need any help you guys can give.........Here's the symptoms

For the last couple months riding has been short and full of problems. I have an 80xs with a 79 special engine. my alternator rotor went so I was working to buy the part. but in the mean time my engine was running shoty. Then out of no where she won't start... full charge .....gas .... but not running. I check the spark plugs. covered in oil. I clean em and try again. she kinda runs but dies out. For the last couple of months of on and off riding (mostly off) I've been trying to get the right valve clearance but the feeler gauges I use arn't the best, so a clinking noise comes when the bike is running. I Kept trying but it just doesn't work. So I figured who better but the guys at xs650.com to help me. So there's the skinny. not running,oil on the spark plugs,clinking from engine valve clearance when ran. What could this be? :shrug:

Thanks for your help!!!

sounds like valvetrain issues, hows the compression? your valve seals are probably shot. piston rings might be wore too, causing more oil to get in your combustion chamber.

+1 on adjusting the cam chain, how's the compression? Are you 100% sure it's only oil on the plugs?

I haven't adjusted the cam chain, but about a month ago I had great compression... I'll have to re check that. I just checked my valve clearance and the intake and exhaust heights were backwards I think thats were my noise was coming from.
gggGary what do you mean by only on the plugs.... the plugs were covered in oil if thats what you mean? I'll check my compression and get back to you guys thanks.

Wet with gas can look a lot like wet with oil is all I meant. IE; some sort of excess gas issue?

Back